Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Game system » Time zone stuff » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Time zone stuff 2 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Drops

Registration Date: 03-14-2010

Time zone stuff Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

In the game, the time displayed on the game interface doesn't always match with the player's time zone (for me its a 5 hr difference). While it seems a bit minor, it kind of adds difficulties for those who like to plan when they bid snipe (especially those who lack time and like to bid snipe multiple items at various times in a day) because they would have to consistently convert the auction end time to their time zone, and then plan out their schedule.
While bid sniping is frowned upon, I still think it’s a viable bidding tactic, and adds to the level of competition. Moreover, I think that the people who do have matching time zones (with the time in the game) will have an easier time bid sniping, giving them an unintentional advantage. The bid sniping I'm referring to circumvents the rule stating
quote:
In case of outbidding in the last 30 seconds, duration of the auction will be extended for 3 minutes
by out bidding 31 or more seconds before the auction ends.

So, my first part of the proposal was, add some kind of option to convert end times of auctions to the player's specified time zone.

My second part of the proposal is to add a current date to the game interface. With a different time zone, sometimes I get confused when I prioritize my bid snipes. For example, one auction might end on 2010-06-10 at 3:00:00 and the current time I might see is 23:25:40. Since I live in a different time zone (5 hrs behind the in-games time zone), I have to think, when will I have to take action and what day the auction will end for myself.

For my ideal bid sniping procedure planning, I would have to:
1. Convert the auction end times to my time zone (3:00:00-5hrs = -22:00)
2. Determine the date the auction will end for me (in this case 2010-06-9)
After that process, I would have to schedule it at by:
1. Finding my current date and time (figure out how much time is left before I make the snipe)
2. Schedule the bid snipe (Check if I have time to make the snipe)

For the players who have matching time zones, all they have to do:
1. Find their current date and time
2. Schedule their bid snipe

For sniping one auction, it isn’t a great big hassle. But if the player wants to bid snipe multiple auctions, this planning becomes so much more difficult and the unnecessary steps take up even more time.

What do you think and is this plan difficult to implement?
06-10-2010 04:33 Drops is offline Search for Posts by Drops Add Drops to your Buddy List
Mortis
Emperor

images/avatars/avatar-47.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007
Race in game: Absorber
Clan: BoS exLead

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was asking for timezone settings in the options before, but no answer from Dev team. Anyway good idea for me.

"Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind."
06-12-2010 21:17 Mortis is offline Search for Posts by Mortis Add Mortis to your Buddy List Add Mortis to your Contact List
Lysandra
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-344.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2008
Race in game: Beastmaster

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I wouldn't mind it, kind of like a setting you chose in the 'settings' option menu. (Select time zone).

But, after almost three years of playing, I know that 03:00 is 10PM for me; 00:00 is 7PM and so on and so forth. It's only a few second conversion (unless I'm really sleepy then it might take a minute or two...lol), so I don't see it as a big issue.

quote:
Originally posted by *GayTiger*
lys... that was amazing, it's pure orgasm on a page!

06-17-2010 15:04 Lysandra is offline Homepage of Lysandra Search for Posts by Lysandra Add Lysandra to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Lysandra
Unholy Emperor
I AM............dead.

images/avatars/avatar-569.gif

Registration Date: 05-12-2009
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: BoS

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Even though I'm English and do not suffer from this problem I would like to see this implemented as an update as I do not think it is fair for others, like yourselves. (the above posters)

06-23-2010 17:49 Unholy Emperor is offline Search for Posts by Unholy Emperor Add Unholy Emperor to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Unholy Emperor
Szeszej
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-1121.jpg

Registration Date: 02-21-2007
Clan: Overlords

With the current implementation of time in the game this is unfortunately not possible.

06-24-2010 20:51 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Game system » Time zone stuff

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH