Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Offtopic » Swearing » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Thread is closed
Go to the bottom of this page Swearing 4 Votes - Average Rating: 7.754 Votes - Average Rating: 7.754 Votes - Average Rating: 7.75
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kalessin

images/avatars/avatar-378.jpg

Registration Date: 04-29-2008
Race in game: Cultist
Clan: Source

Swearing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So we're warned, and eventually banned, for swearing on the boards because children use this game and swearing offends their innocent sensibilities. However, this is the far agility Act II quest...

http://r1.bloodwars.net/showmsg.php?mid=...&key=0c34a70495

... so `This is getting fucking ridiculous!` is a direct quote from the game, but not ok on the boards? Whoever warns me first makes a hypocrite of the game, please make an orderly queue Smile

04-24-2009 21:37 Kalessin is offline Homepage of Kalessin Search for Posts by Kalessin Add Kalessin to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Kalessin
FlashBlade

Registration Date: 09-13-2008
Race in game: Absorber
Clan: Vault 13

RE: Swearing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I finally did my agility far quest in Act II and got the same "Fucking" coming through in the result, as Kalessin did. After saying exactly the same thing to the game after numerous failed attempts at 70% (and smashing up the keyboard and mouse a bit), I finally succeeded, then got "This is getting fucking ridiculous!" on my result msg. Hmmmm, telling me! Mods, edit this profanity out pls, or accept it in the posts Wink
04-24-2009 21:53 FlashBlade is offline Search for Posts by FlashBlade Add FlashBlade to your Buddy List
Cthulhu
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpeg

Registration Date: 11-29-2007
Clan: HL

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Roflmao - quality find!!

Fist in the air - "What do we want? Swearing!! When do we want it? NOW!" Tongue LoL - Don't make dig out my RATM... Big Grin

Don't censor it, just let us all swear if we want to - I've met kids who know more swear words than me... well, maybe not, but they quite a few.

Seriously - it is a little bit hypocritical... but perhaps it is just the mods who have delicate natures, and not the admins??? Tongue

Edit - I forgot to say - "This is getting fucking ridiculous!"

HBS

ENCHANTMENT

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Cthulhu: 04-24-2009 22:59.

04-24-2009 22:03 Cthulhu is offline Homepage of Cthulhu Search for Posts by Cthulhu Add Cthulhu to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

Registration Date: 10-22-2008
Clan: BoS

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

personally im not bothered too much when people swear. its more when its directed at someone or every other sentence that it gets on my nerves

04-24-2009 22:54 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Beatrice_2
Double Ace

images/avatars/avatar-654.gif

Registration Date: 03-21-2009
Clan: BK

haha did you know with times now... as me knowing a youth worker Big Grin .... you can't actually tell people off for swearing .... because its become more common in our world now to swear that kids think its normal behavior to swear and no one will comment on it....

i don't see the point in censoring words or warning people because we know what they are anyways ..... but there again.... when you are using it in a offensive manner thats when it should get censored or well the hole posted deleted Big Grin

i swear all the time.... but its still funny me thinking of words to say instead of swearing haha most common one now it pants Big Grin haha whoop go pants Big Grin haha

but its true... if they are using it in game.... why aren't we allowed to like post it in posts because it is rather hypocritical Big Grin

\0/

EVANS & CESARZ NUMBER 1 FAN
Click if you want a giggle XD

04-24-2009 22:54 Beatrice_2 is offline Homepage of Beatrice_2 Search for Posts by Beatrice_2 Add Beatrice_2 to your Buddy List
Agresiel
Trade Mod "Poor, Poor Me"

Registration Date: 02-11-2008

i absolutely love this because i am one of the biggest advocates for being able to swear if we want to i mean "This is getting fucking ridiculous!" that PC has become this bad i mean its text and anyone who is offened by words nevermind that its written needs to wake up and stop living in 1960's

the ONLY time swearin g is not acceptable is when its maliciuos and with anger/intent then it becomes a problem

but swearing to discribe how someone feels is no more unacceptable than using other words in there place

04-24-2009 22:57 Agresiel is offline Search for Posts by Agresiel Add Agresiel to your Buddy List
Beatrice_2
Double Ace

people swear now..... like music... internet.....everyday life and its just another thing.... with society now it is a common thing Big Grin ..... as people have said it being said aggressively .... but you can use unswear words for that Big Grin ..... so it kinda goes round in a circle Big Grin

04-24-2009 23:08 Beatrice_2 is offline Homepage of Beatrice_2 Search for Posts by Beatrice_2 Add Beatrice_2 to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

if you use nothing but expletives it just shows that you have a limited vocabulary.

04-24-2009 23:10 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Beatrice_2
Double Ace

well poppy :'( maybe some of us are D:

04-24-2009 23:12 Beatrice_2 is offline Homepage of Beatrice_2 Search for Posts by Beatrice_2 Add Beatrice_2 to your Buddy List
Agresiel

@popsif "you use nothing but expletives it just shows that you have a limited vocabulary"
video 0:28-0:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

a fantastic vid that totaly says it all for PRO swearing

@pops "but is there really any need for it?"

video 1:45 - 2:08

as i said the video says it all

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Agresiel: 04-24-2009 23:34.

04-24-2009 23:16 Agresiel is offline Search for Posts by Agresiel Add Agresiel to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

thats one side to the arguement. i hate all the pc bull just as much as anyone. but is there really any need for it? i can understand if someone breaks a toe or drops something or the occasional word or 2, but if its directed at anyone, expect warnings

04-24-2009 23:27 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
censoredcensored

Registration Date: 03-23-2009
Race in game: Beastmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Roflmao - quality find!!

Fist in the air - "What do we want? Swearing!! When do we want it? NOW!" Tongue LoL - Don't make dig out my RATM... Big Grin

Don't censor it, just let us all swear if we want to - I've met kids who now more swear words than me... well, maybe not, but they quite a few.

Seriously - it is a little bit hypocritical... but perhaps it is just the mods who have delicate natures, and not the admins??? Tongue

Edit - I forgot to say - "This is getting fucking ridiculous!"

you said the F word. prepare to get banned. or warned. or whatever nobody cares about.

back to the topic: this game is about beating up human-like-folks with incredible violent instruments. and on the related board people give warnings about words like "censored".

and when i finally admitted to the code of conduct in here by censoring my own name i get confronted with incredibly offending words like "censored" in quest reports.

i hereby demand the game to be punished. it needs to be banned from playing itself, so it has the time to think about the RNG, its choice of words and so on. there´s plenty of stuff it needs to be punished for!

i wont blame any of the mods for anything, as most of you folks are like the internet´s barrack obama. and i like that dude. perhaps even obama himself said "censored" at least once in his life. but of course not on the internet, as it´s offensive²

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by censoredcensored: 04-24-2009 23:44.

04-24-2009 23:32 censoredcensored is offline Search for Posts by censoredcensored Add censoredcensored to your Buddy List
NouveauNosferatu
Lord

Registration Date: 04-28-2008

quote:
Originally posted by censoredcensored

i hereby demand the game to be punished. it needs to be banned from playing itself, so it has the time to think about the RNG, its choice of words and so on. there´s plenty of stuff it needs to be punished for!

This is all getting a bit surreal, just to verify, is the game playing itself or playing with itself? Because one of those definitely needs censoring ;-)

If i may ask, was the crackdown on swearing on the forums at the request of the actual admin of the game, or the initiative of the mods themselves?

Just if it's admin who dictated it, then the whole situation is hypocritical. However, if the crackdown was decided on by the mods of the forum solely, then it has no relation to the content of the game, as the two entities are being policed by two different groups.
04-24-2009 23:38 NouveauNosferatu is offline Homepage of NouveauNosferatu Search for Posts by NouveauNosferatu Add NouveauNosferatu to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

the video just gives stephen frys feelings on swearing. thats all. some might have different views

edit: to answer your question Nouveaunosferatu

quote:
Originally posted by Szeszej

3)Do not use offensive language. Do not groundlessly accuse or offend other user of the game or forums.

Punishment: warning.

04-24-2009 23:38 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Agresiel

i believe all rules had the same authour Szeszej

and he does have input with both fourm AND game

as if i were to swear in game and someone was to complain it is him they would complain and him that a ban would comefrom
so its the former and NOT the later

POPS what some one deems to be offensive is entirely subjective

for example i could say i no long want anyone to say the word "THE" as i find it highly offensive

so does that mean anyone who uses said word should be warned?....no of course not

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Agresiel: 04-24-2009 23:45.

04-24-2009 23:41 Agresiel is offline Search for Posts by Agresiel Add Agresiel to your Buddy List
Kalessin

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kalessin

quote:
Originally posted by NouveauNosferatu
Just if it's admin who dictated it, then the whole situation is hypocritical. However, if the crackdown was decided on by the mods of the forum solely, then it has no relation to the content of the game, as the two entities are being policed by two different groups.

Not everyone uses the forum. Everyone who uses the game, plays the game. If children are using the forum they are (unless wildly confused) using the game as well - in which case, they are being sworn at by the game itself.

So why are we being warned for swearing on the forums exactly? Are we expecting children to close their eyes when they win the far agility quest?

EDIT - swearing because the RNG has censored you over is not the same as swearing offensively with the express intent of offending someone. If kids can play the game, with the permission of whoever wrote the quest text, then they can surely peruse the forums and understand people expressing their frustration without taking every swearword personally Smile

Don't think becasue you are questioning this quest that you are allowed to swear vehemently.
No warning for now.
Raxis

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kalessin: 04-24-2009 23:45.

04-24-2009 23:41 Kalessin is offline Homepage of Kalessin Search for Posts by Kalessin Add Kalessin to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Kalessin
Pops
moderator...apparently

then please explain how the word "THE" can be used in an offensive context

edit:

we dont have a set list of offensive words. it is discretionary. if a user reports it, obviously they found it offensive. my personal boundaries are when somebody is blatantly trying to cause offense or goes completely ott

04-24-2009 23:44 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Raxis
Set Abominae

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 12-12-2007

I think the difference here is that it's a story. there is a difference in this case. Whereas on a forum you are actiely putting out n expression of distaste.

Also as Popeye said, you drop something on your toe then you will swear, it tends to happen. The sotry part of the quest is the same thing, it's a reaction. However when posting there is no need to swear.

I don't, never have on a forum.... there are ways around it/// just bite your tongue, metaphorically, and get on with it.

Your imperfection.
04-24-2009 23:47 Raxis is offline Search for Posts by Raxis Add Raxis to your Buddy List
NouveauNosferatu
Lord

quote:
Originally posted by Kalessin
Not everyone uses the forum. Everyone who uses the game, plays the game. If children are using the forum they are (unless wildly confused) using the game as well - in which case, they are being sworn at by the game itself.

So why are we being warned for swearing on the forums exactly? Are we expecting children to close their eyes when they win the far agility quest?

I wasn't expecting anything, just asking a question :-)

And pops, as for those rules, they're too vague at best, as offensive doesn't necessarily mean swearing. I dont find swearing offensive unless it's aimed at someone in particular, but the next person might.

Even within the mods there are varying interpretations of these rules, with some finding themselves a lot more offended than others.
04-24-2009 23:47 NouveauNosferatu is offline Homepage of NouveauNosferatu Search for Posts by NouveauNosferatu Add NouveauNosferatu to your Buddy List
Agresiel

who said anything about context
if you take the rules in their literal meaning

3)Do not use offensive language. (fullstop)

then it states nothing about context therefore i can choose any word i want that is offensive to me, as there is no defined list

if you are however saying that the rule states that only words used in an offencive context are punishable then u are saying that we are allowed t swear as long as there is no desernable target

so...... which is it

04-24-2009 23:48 Agresiel is offline Search for Posts by Agresiel Add Agresiel to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

personally, i find the use of certain words gross and disgusting and there in no need for it at all. sexual swear words mostly

most of it is down to interpretation. an example is the term "god damn it" not offensive to some. but to a devout catholic, its blasphemy.

edit: spelling and better example

04-24-2009 23:51 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Agresiel

so u are saying that anything anyone finds offensive should be met with a warning? as it is in breach of the rules then....

that is my point entirely i find words gross and disgusting such as "the" and "walk"

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Agresiel: 04-24-2009 23:53.

04-24-2009 23:53 Agresiel is offline Search for Posts by Agresiel Add Agresiel to your Buddy List
censoredcensored

quote:
Originally posted by popeye2k8
the video just gives stephen frys feelings on swearing. thats all. some might have different views

edit: to answer your question Nouveaunosferatu

quote:

3)Do not use offensive language. Do not groundlessly accuse or offend other user of the game or forums.

Punishment: warning.

may i ask a question here? when i use the words "censored", or "arsemonkey", or "censored" or "otterroboter" or "blingbling" - as long as i don´t throw it at someone on the board or in game that rule doesn´t apply. right? i can say whatever i want as long as i don´t point at anybody. even if i feel like it. am i correct? or is there another paragraph for that?

and now c´mon Wink you know what you gotta do!
04-24-2009 23:53 censoredcensored is offline Search for Posts by censoredcensored Add censoredcensored to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

if a mod thinks it was intended to be offensive then yes

censoredcensored there was no need. that word is vulgar at best so a warning for you

04-24-2009 23:54 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Agresiel

thats why i asked for clarification

its either any word deemed offensive (which with no list is entirely subjective)

or

its ok unless its at someone

the word vulgar is nasty and actually offends me pops plz issue urself with a warning

what censordsensord said did not offend me infact only served to prove a point and was a well articulated point in this discussion and to warn him is admiting your wrong and lossingf this debate

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Agresiel: 04-24-2009 23:57.

04-24-2009 23:55 Agresiel is offline Search for Posts by Agresiel Add Agresiel to your Buddy List
censoredcensored

@ popeye:

acoording to that paragraph you just quoted?

there is no interpretation of whether i am adressing someone or not. i just do or i don´t. maybe you folks should fix that rule, as it´s plain broken. already

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by censoredcensored: 04-24-2009 23:59.

04-24-2009 23:56 censoredcensored is offline Search for Posts by censoredcensored Add censoredcensored to your Buddy List
Raxis
Set Abominae

There are certain limits... I mean, there are words which aren't too offensive.

A word found offensive by the general perception of public.... which I'm afraid, even though we hear them daily, most parents don't want their kids to learn them, though inevitably they will....

Anyways. Is this just a thread Agresial to try and circumvent the rules, or is it another rant, someone throwing away their rattle becasue they have lost their favourite toy.

I know tha'ts a trifle undiplomatic, but right now I want a core answer

Your imperfection.
04-24-2009 23:56 Raxis is offline Search for Posts by Raxis Add Raxis to your Buddy List
Agresiel

quote:
Originally posted by Raxis

A word found offensive by the general perception of public.... which I'm afraid, even though we hear them daily, most parents don't want their kids to learn them, though inevitably they will....

Anyways. Is this just a thread Agresial to try and circumvent the rules, or is it another rant, someone throwing away their rattle becasue they have lost their favourite toy.

there is no ranting from me as everything i am saying is a valid point and is still well within topic

and who determines what is and isnt offensive ? ist subjective

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Agresiel: 04-24-2009 23:59.

04-24-2009 23:59 Agresiel is offline Search for Posts by Agresiel Add Agresiel to your Buddy List
NouveauNosferatu
Lord

quote:

I don't, never have on a forum.... there are ways around it/// just bite your tongue, metaphorically, and get on with it.

Interesting... and incorrect

quote:
Daily Mail? F*cking waste of trees.

The British Government
In the post at 02:08

I'm sure i can find more if i really look close enough
04-25-2009 00:01 NouveauNosferatu is offline Homepage of NouveauNosferatu Search for Posts by NouveauNosferatu Add NouveauNosferatu to your Buddy List
Kalessin

quote:
I think the difference here is that it's a story. there is a difference in this case.

How, exactly? If I am offended by a certain FREAKING UNNECESSARY CAUSAL KLAUSE (stretching, I know).... why would I be offended by it in a story and NOT in a description of my day?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kalessin: 04-25-2009 00:02.

04-25-2009 00:01 Kalessin is offline Homepage of Kalessin Search for Posts by Kalessin Add Kalessin to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Kalessin
Pops
moderator...apparently

quote:

General rule to make your life easier: "If you don't know how you should behave then behave in a good manner just in case".

04-25-2009 00:01 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Cthulhu
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpeg

Registration Date: 11-29-2007
Clan: HL

Lol - of course there are ways around swearing - as I have said before in another thread!

But the point is that sometimes people don't want to use other words.... expression through swear words is emotive, that does not necessarily mean it is offensive.

If I were to direct a torrent of abuse at an individual, then they may deem that offensive (personally I couldn't care less if you called me every bad word you can think of - they are only words - I would probably take more offense if you tried to punch me!).

But just saying the odd swear word as to emote your frustration should not warrant an attack from the thought police!

Text Swearing

HBS

ENCHANTMENT
04-25-2009 00:01 Cthulhu is offline Homepage of Cthulhu Search for Posts by Cthulhu Add Cthulhu to your Buddy List
censoredcensored

quote:

"the general" is quite subjective. i can show you some words in german you will get beaten up for saying them in one corner of the country, and will not be looked at for in the other.

and no, i bet it´s just a thread to ask some folks to put whatever is stuck in their bottocks, and relax a little. and yes it´s discussing the rules, as they are not made clear by what was quoted from the boards rules.

and your tendency to infantilize folks is childish. could you please stop that? i suppose you can´t judge folks from posts in here. so stop that. it is annoying.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by censoredcensored: 04-25-2009 00:11.

04-25-2009 00:06 censoredcensored is offline Search for Posts by censoredcensored Add censoredcensored to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

i can understand to express emotion. but not every sentence for no reason its not necessary

04-25-2009 00:06 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Agresiel

well said censord

infact raxis u singling me out was not fair and more offensive then if you had swore at me and tbh as a mod i dont think that was a good standard to set now was it, i said nothing to/about you

infact i was just making my point and making it well so the verbal atttack obviously aimed at me was totally unjust

and swearing to express emotion IS the point pops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T726ZZV5Okk proof for using for emotion

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Agresiel: 04-25-2009 00:12.

04-25-2009 00:10 Agresiel is offline Search for Posts by Agresiel Add Agresiel to your Buddy List
Raxis
Set Abominae

quote:
and your tendency to infantilize folks is childish. could you please stop that? i suppose you can´t judge folks from posts in here. so stop that. it is annoying.

As long as this childish debate continues then it will continue.

This whole thing IS infantile.

The rules are, youd don't swear, so don't, why is it you persist on these threads. Yes the word appears in game, no you cannot use it on the forum. End of story.

Anyone else who uses it from here on will be handed a warning, you are using this thread as an excuse to swear, and it's not going to work.

Agresial it's the fact this isi yet another in a long stirng of these threads. People should have learned by now, it's not a personal attack, it's just in this case you are the thread starter

Your imperfection.
04-25-2009 00:12 Raxis is offline Search for Posts by Raxis Add Raxis to your Buddy List
Agresiel

quote:

you are using this thread as an excuse to swear, and it's not going to work.

erm we are not using this thread for that purpose we are having an adult coversation and debate its called point and counter-point and forms the basis of any discussion/debate

no-one is targetiung anyone EXCEPT FOR YOU raxis so can u kindly stop makeing this thread out to be what its not and please check your attitude

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Agresiel: 04-25-2009 00:16.

04-25-2009 00:16 Agresiel is offline Search for Posts by Agresiel Add Agresiel to your Buddy List
Raxis
Set Abominae

Agresial. People have been using this thread to swear. Read the first few posts, and a certain, VERY offensive term was also used.

The fact is there should need no debate. Swearing is prohibited, except for sotry purposes. That's how it is. You should not need to debate a topic liek this, except in an attempt to circumvent the rules.

Attitude adjusted. Anyhting else you need my friend

Your imperfection.
04-25-2009 00:21 Raxis is offline Search for Posts by Raxis Add Raxis to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

ok guys i shouldve done this earlier. its out of hand now so im closing this thread

reopened after pm......keep it under control or it gets closed again and stays closed

04-25-2009 00:23 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Kalessin

quote:
People have been using this thread to swear.

No. This thread was started because a certain 'very offensive' word was used in the game. I was not personally offended, and I don't wish it to be changed. My point WAS not to use the word like a naughty child, but to point out the hypocracy of mods heavy-handing out warnings for things that society doesn't deem offensive enough not to include in the game itself.

quote:
it's just in this case you are the thread starter

Actually, Raxis, if you'd read this thread, I was the thread starter Smile I'm opening a debate about the gulf between the game's overt morals, and the morals of forum moderation. Smile

Popeye - thanks so much for reopening the thread. You have no idea how frustrating it is to be haflway through a decent discussion when someone puts and end to it Wink

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kalessin: 04-25-2009 01:04.

04-25-2009 01:04 Kalessin is offline Homepage of Kalessin Search for Posts by Kalessin Add Kalessin to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Kalessin
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Offtopic » Swearing

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH