Official Blood Wars Board (http://forum.bloodwars.net/index.php)
- General (http://forum.bloodwars.net/board.php?boardid=12)
-- Offtopic (http://forum.bloodwars.net/board.php?boardid=20)
--- Rage Against The Machine for Christmas No. #1 (http://forum.bloodwars.net/thread.php?threadid=14522)

Posted by OTNC on 12-09-2009 at22:35:

Rage Against The Machine for Christmas No. #1

As of dec 13, people are going to buy 'Killing in the Name of' by RATM to protest X-Factor moneyfarming and overfranchising etc etc.

Check the facebook group, with over 500,000 members willing to buy at least one copy of KitNo.

Ill probably get censored for linking, but check various news sites, facebook, apparently twitter is popular also.

Rage Against the Machine - '**** you i wont buy what you sell me!'

Posted by NouveauNosferatu on 12-09-2009 at22:39:

Shrewd bit of marketing from Sony i'd say ;-)

Posted by OTNC on 12-09-2009 at22:42:

Could be apple, HMV etc.

Who cares?

Better than accepting the XF marketing. Id rather not waste precious tv slots for another 6 years of simon cowells cheeky grin.

Posted by Beatrice_2 on 12-09-2009 at22:49:

hahaha they have been talking about that on radio one lolol i think it would be well smart haha be better than a cheeeesy song Big Grin

Posted by NouveauNosferatu on 12-09-2009 at22:51:

My point being there are bands out there not even charging for their music, bands who have truly given the middle finger to record labels, Nine Inch Nails to name but one.

Make a number one no major record label makes money from, then i'll sign up.

Otherwise you're just taking money from one big greedy pocket and sinking it into another.

While RATM are signed to a Sony subsidiary record label (Epic) they'll never be more than shallow counter-culture for the middle class.

Their message is strong (if slightly juvenile), but their credibility is weak.

EDIT:
Having said all that, i do quite like RATM muscially :-P

Posted by OTNC on 12-09-2009 at23:10:

quote:
Originally posted by NouveauNosferatu
Their message is strong (if slightly juvenile), but their credibility is weak.
EDIT:
Having said all that, i do quite like RATM muscially :-P

Yeah i do agree with most you say.

Nobody listens to bands with messages. However, some like RATM and Rise Against weave messages into their songs.

I dont really care as long as its a good song.

Which, i hastily add, KitNo is, imo.

So, dont you think 97p is worth it? even if you already have it? lol.

EDIT: Just to add, if it wasnt a song i really like, i wouldnt really give a shizzle about the group/movement etc.

Posted by LucifersAngel on 12-10-2009 at17:53:

Damn straight guys! RATM kick ass and they really deserve to get number 1 over any X factor rubbish! I'll be buying the song again definitely!

Posted by smierc on 12-10-2009 at18:53:

i'll support them and torrent it?

since i dont give one about x-factor or what other people think about songs i shant be buying this, however i do love them.

Posted by LucifersAngel on 12-10-2009 at20:49:

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/10122009/19/simon-cowell-1-campaign-stupid.html

This is brilliant. Also, are you serious? If you like the band, support it by buying the song.

Posted by OTNC on 12-15-2009 at17:03:

This week is the time to buy guys Smile

i have Smile

Posted by Beatrice_2 on 12-16-2009 at12:18:

hahahahahaha this is classic Big Grin lololol

they have just said on the radio that rage is well ahead of the X factor fella hahaha it would be amazing if it did actually get to christmas number 1 hahaha

Posted by darc on 12-16-2009 at12:40:

i find it sad that they have to put a new boy down just to get to simon. just boy cott x factor and britains got talent instead of taking it of him.

p.s i dont like ether song and wont be buying any of them

and i hope rage arnt proud to be xmas number one. they got there due to pettyness not due to there abilte which is good but this way has taken it off them aswell.

this not the way to do it

Posted by 4thtimelucky on 12-18-2009 at23:08:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0Auo50A1A&feature=player_embedded

Hahah i joined the group on facebook and this made me laugh so much Tongue

Posted by OTNC on 12-18-2009 at23:58:

They played live on radio 5 live

If you want to laugh, skip to 8:40 on this video, it was the live broadcast Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiQPqmYE1A

EDIT: The downfall remix video make me rofl, good job Smile

Posted by kazgar the angry on 12-19-2009 at00:13:

c'mon Rage I thourghly agree even though the wife made me watch every X factor I think it is about time that cowell got put in his place and a proper christmas song made it to no. 1

Posted by Cheese!!!!!!!!! :D on 12-19-2009 at01:23:

RATM are a good band, but i dont think a song that says "f*** you, i wont do what you tell me!" will get no.1 for christmas,
As a matter of fact, i dont any metal or rock song will ever get christmas no.1,

Posted by foxes on 12-19-2009 at01:28:

the 8:40 part is spot wot thay are saying nice tune anyways

Posted by Raxis on 12-19-2009 at18:43:

quote:
Originally posted by Cheese!!!!!!!!! Big Grin
RATM are a good band, but i dont think a song that says "f*** you, i wont do what you tell me!" will get no.1 for christmas,
As a matter of fact, i dont any metal or rock song will ever get christmas no.1,

Slade did I think.

It's pettyness to be honest. And somewhat putting Rage in a bad light to those who respected them for not selling out

Posted by Cheese!!!!!!!!! :D on 12-19-2009 at19:11:

Dont quote me!
And who are slade?

Posted by OTNC on 12-19-2009 at19:15:

RATM are giving all proceeds to a homeless charity however. Is this the bad light for RATM raxis?

Also, they werent involved in the campaign to start off with, it was a couple who like their music and dislike the x factor. So how is this selling out?

Posted by Raxis on 12-19-2009 at22:18:

Because now they've jumped on the bandwagon for something that starts as a joke. No matter how much they donate it's publicity for them which in the long run makes them more money.

As for putting them in a bad light. Blatant selling out does. How much they donate won't even touch the amount that Bill Gates donates, and it is very seldom that he is portrayed in a good manner. Same applies here

Posted by OTNC on 12-20-2009 at01:14:

quote:
Originally posted by Raxis
Because now they've jumped on the bandwagon for something that starts as a joke. No matter how much they donate it's publicity for them which in the long run makes them more money.

As for putting them in a bad light. Blatant selling out does. How much they donate won't even touch the amount that Bill Gates donates, and it is very seldom that he is portrayed in a good manner. Same applies here

I dont understand this, i think perhaps you are being overly negative.

They claim to give 100% of anything this earns to charity, so this cannot be a bad thing. How much would Joe donate?

Either way, charity benefits.

I dont feel it was a bandwagon thing, of course they have to notice that 500,000 people are lobbying for their song to be bought. It took 500k people to join before RATM even came out in public to acknowledge this.

You still havent shown how they are sellouts, comparing them to Bill Gates is also not the best analogy.

How much has BG made in his career? And what %ge of this has been donated? Perhaps a smaller proportion.

By the way, i have no beef with you at all my friend, I just do not understand your arguments, and why you are so against RATM. Perhaps you do not like their music?

The main thing for me, is that their CD has been in my CD rack and MP3/IPod for many years now, im glad it has resurfaced. Id gladly throw away 99p for this cause, especially if it is fractionally going towards charity [granted, most of it isnt. and not implying this is my only charitable action, i donate to several charities.]

Posted by NouveauNosferatu on 12-20-2009 at13:11:

quote:
Originally posted by OTNC

How much has BG made in his career? And what %ge of this has been donated? Perhaps a smaller proportion.

On a point of fact Bill Gates donated, i think it was 50% of his entire wealth, to charity a few years ago.

So yes, i would say that he has given more to charity, as a percentage and as an amount.

It's not often, but i do find myself agreeing with Raxis this time. Though i dont think it was this that ruined their credibility, but rather screaming anti-capitalism and then signing to a Sony label.

Oh and by the by, while you're praising RATM and their charity-giving, it may be noted that "Some of the proceeds made from the single will be donated to a UK-based music charity.", key word there being SOME not ALL or 50% or 75%.

Posted by 4thtimelucky on 12-20-2009 at19:21:

Rage against the machine - killing in the name of is the xmas number 1 YAAAAAAAY!!

Posted by Raxis on 12-20-2009 at19:44:

quote:
By the way, i have no beef with you at all my friend, I just do not understand your arguments, and why you are so against RATM. Perhaps you do not like their music?

Oh no I've had the album for a while. Long before this false revolution.

From which Cowell profits from not only Joe's sales, but Rage's also

Posted by Beatrice_2 on 12-20-2009 at20:15:

lol it actually made number 1 hahaha thats classic

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH