Official Blood Wars Board (http://forum.bloodwars.net/index.php)
- General (http://forum.bloodwars.net/board.php?boardid=12)
-- Offtopic (http://forum.bloodwars.net/board.php?boardid=20)
--- Question to all gamers (http://forum.bloodwars.net/thread.php?threadid=3611)

Posted by Nemazis on 01-16-2009 at22:47:

Question to all gamers

Just wondering, what do you use when you play games, inverted or normal? For the people who don't know the difference or what it is, here's a quick explanation.

Inverted - When aiming, moving the stick/mouse up makes the aim go down, and vica verse.

Normal - When aiming, moving the stick/mouse up makes the aim go up (it's normal, duh) and vica verse.

Reason i ask? Because one of my real life friends (anyone who remembers bighead0010 on here) uses normal, i use inverted, and he claims everyone who uses inverted is inferior (his actual words at one point) and we should all change and use normal. The funny thing is, about 7 people that we both know use invert, and him and one other uses normal.

Anyway, just answer please, and if possible, can you turn it into a pole? It's easier than gathering answers and editting this post.

+1 normal (bighead0010) he doesn't play blood, but still adding him. Just add 1 to whatever the results are at the mo.

Posted by Evangelion on 01-16-2009 at22:55:

Poll added. I hope the question is ok Wink

Voted for normal Wink

Posted by Nemazis on 01-16-2009 at22:59:

Thanks evan, hopefully quite afew people will actually contribute to this... i might have to ask my clan to add to this just so i can get mroe answers.

Posted by Igor on 01-16-2009 at23:27:

both

the inverted im guessing came from early flight-sim style games
at least - those were the first games i played with inverted up/down
and often did not have the options to customize control settings

didnt have the option in the poll

kinda all depends on the game - and the controller being used
and wether or not there are multiple vehicle/foot/comms default controls

bit like the option to stick to default WASD keysets
or arrow keys or to completely customize your controller options

i muddle thru depending on needs with any control system
especially if the game is set up for someone else preferences

the best gaming session i remember in a FPS
was no aimcursor no autoaim inverted left right on the N64
where each player had to use his most disliked invert/normal up/down

Posted by Curse Caster on 01-16-2009 at23:33:

I voted for normal!!

Even though most fps' come with inverted active which could lead to asume that your meant/wanted to use it like that, i still find it easyer due to it being what i grew up with!!

As new games come with it pre-inverted a lot of new gamers are used to the inverted, which explains why its become so popular!!

I asume the inverted controls were introduced with aircraft, then it moved to fps with games that had both units and ships!!

But to anwser the question, i think normal version is better as its the system you work with everyday!!! (up actually being up) And thus you should be more fluid with it!!!

Also, when you play old games that dont allow you to use the inverted system, and you use it for all your games, then your performance will be waay lower than it should be based on your skill!!!

Thats my view anyway!!! =D

Posted by Nemazis on 01-16-2009 at23:43:

@Igor - Wow... that's one messed up gaming session, FORTUNATELY, i CAN use normal (takes about 5 minutes for me to get used to it) but DAYUM, inverted left/right is just awkward.

@Curse Caster - Yeah i grew up with normal aswell, but then i saw one of my brothers playing as it, changed it to inverted to test it out, forgot to change back and been using it for years now. And most games where it doesn't have inverted i can survive playing anyway. Besides, about old games not having inverted, doesn't goldeneye (on N64) even have inverted? That's the OLDEST game i can remember that'd like... have the choice.

Posted by Igor on 01-17-2009 at09:45:

heh - like you say it only takes a few minutes to get used to things

as for when it started becoming an option...
well - ive been gaming since bbc/acorn atari / zx80 times (late 70's early 80's)
yes goldeneye had options for inverted controls - but as a
floating set of 'default' options - preset patterns - not user defined really

memory fails me too much further back than the n64 era
but i dont remember any of the old cartridge or tape based games
i played having options for inverted x/y axis - i could be wrong

Posted by Mortis on 01-17-2009 at12:15:

Normal

Posted by Cthulhu on 01-17-2009 at14:09:

Normal rocks!

Inverted is for people with strange depth perception. Tongue Big Grin

Posted by Pops on 01-17-2009 at14:24:

i can only use normal for some reason. even with most vehicles on fps i have to change the control layout. lol

Posted by Evangelion on 01-17-2009 at17:28:

The inverted aiming was the first thing that annoyed me in gta:sa... I had to change them in the options Tongue

Posted by nelacar on 01-17-2009 at18:13:

inverted..for fps i cant use the "normal" aiming at all...has to be inverted

Posted by KILLER X on 01-17-2009 at19:25:

i voted for normal......... but i like inverted 2

Posted by Nemazis on 01-17-2009 at21:38:

DAMMIT, SOH MANY PEOPLE CHOSE NORMAL >_<

Ah well, at least now i got a comparison of how many people use normal or inverted (or in igor's case, both XD) because i've always wondered who uses what.

And Cthulhu (DAMMIT GET A SANE, SPELLABLE NAME!) SCREW YOU *runs far far away* INVERTED ROCKS!!! Tongue

Posted by Evangelion on 01-17-2009 at22:38:

Cthulhu is an easily spellable name Wink

And of course...
quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Normal rocks!

I second that Wink

Posted by diablo on 01-18-2009 at01:06:

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Normal rocks!

Exactly.

Posted by unholy-beast on 01-18-2009 at02:40:

i use inverted, normal confuses me Tongue

Posted by dtr on 02-15-2009 at14:22:

I cannot use normal at all, Inverted is the way to go!

PS. I do NOT have unusual depth perception "hits head on screen" Whoops, too close again! Dammit

dtr

Posted by nemoralis on 02-15-2009 at15:11:

I really can't understand people who use inverted-just feels so wrong. Normal all the way Smile

Posted by Lasher on 02-15-2009 at16:09:

Inverted sucks big time! Expecially at a few games witch the option of making the mouse work normal is missing, so you gotta change you're style of playing or dump the game.

Posted by Cthulhu on 02-15-2009 at16:40:

quote:
Originally posted by Nemazis
And Cthulhu (DAMMIT GET A SANE, SPELLABLE NAME!) SCREW YOU *runs far far away* INVERTED ROCKS!!! Tongue

LoL - if I had a PS3 we could pick a game & I'd challenge you to a normal / inverted shoot out, then we'd see...... alas, the Great & Good Gaming Gods have not been kind enough to bless me with online uber gaming. Tongue

And my name is perfectly spellable, think:- C - thul - hu (or if that is too annoying, just call me Tentacles - I respond well to that! Big Grin )

Posted by AudatiousTitan on 02-15-2009 at17:38:

Defo normal, athough inverted can be useful for controlling the camera. Somethimes ppl dont notice that the horizontal axis is inverted, athought its usually really awakard.

Posted by DemonDude2 on 02-15-2009 at17:43:

The awkward thing is when a game is pre set to inverted, so when you get a new game for the first time, quite often you dont want to change it kus your to busy shootin bad guys lol

... Then about half way through the game you die 3 times in a row, get angry, blame the control setup and change it

But your used to to playing inverted for about an hour, so it takes a few mins to get re-adjusted to normal again....

Isnt it fact enough that its called normal that its the version your meant to use? ... tho i dont think all games call it normal (their the stupid games)

Posted by AudatiousTitan on 02-15-2009 at17:57:

quote:
Originally posted by DemonDude2
The awkward thing is when a game is pre set to inverted, so when you get a new game for the first time, quite often you dont want to change it kus your to busy shootin bad guys lol

... Then about half way through the game you die 3 times in a row, get angry, blame the control setup and change it

But your used to to playing inverted for about an hour, so it takes a few mins to get re-adjusted to normal again....

Isnt it fact enough that its called normal that its the version your meant to use? ... tho i dont think all games call it normal (their the stupid games)

I hate when that happens, lol, i actually do that a fair bit haha. Whenever im playing the xbox in my couzins it gets annoying. Il go into an online match of cod or halo and realise its inverted a few mins in after ive just been destroyed, then i suck for a few mins cuz im half used to both styles, lol

Posted by Nemazis on 02-15-2009 at18:20:

quote:
Originally posted by AudatiousTitan
quote:

I hate when that happens, lol, i actually do that a fair bit haha. Whenever im playing the xbox in my couzins it gets annoying. Il go into an online match of cod or halo and realise its inverted a few mins in after ive just been destroyed, then i suck for a few mins cuz im half used to both styles, lol

That happens to me all the time at friends houses, takes me about 5 minutes to adjust to normal (even though i much rather inverted) i get smacked, then change it, only difference, is about 5 minutes after changing it, i'm at kickass level again, and for the time i WAS playing normal, i was also, kickass XD

Haha you got a warning.

Posted by AudatiousTitan on 02-15-2009 at18:22:

u dont kickass dj, u kno i own u at halo Wink And i could have given myself a warning Wink lol

Posted by Nemazis on 02-15-2009 at18:25:

Well then if you kickass so much, versus me on halo afterwards at 7 then XD or sometime, i wanna prove i kick more ass than you.

Unrelated: Cthulhu (i didn't look, just guessed) i'd rather not call you tentacles... kinda... creepy nickname, i'll just call you the un-spellable XD oh wait.... sjblah is also unspellable... and i'd still beat you on games, because i'm uber XD

Posted by AudatiousTitan on 02-15-2009 at19:18:

Cant 2day dj, need to do work for 2morro, external verifier is coming in...im screwed lol

Any1 ever played any games where u can only use inverted?

Posted by Pops on 02-15-2009 at19:20:

most flight simulation games were inverted only

Posted by AudatiousTitan on 02-15-2009 at19:22:

Just plane awkard (what a pun)

I have played a few, i find them harder to play because the option to change isnt there.

Posted by tatiana on 02-15-2009 at20:25:

mostly normal, sometime inverted... if i ever play a airplane simulation...

Posted by DemonDude2 on 02-15-2009 at21:07:

Thats kus your meant to play them with a joystick (thats a pun ... euuw) lol

And a simulation is intended to simulate what its really like!

Posted by Artoir. on 02-15-2009 at21:19:

quote:

That's not a pun, that's a euphimism. And no one had thought of it until you said it Tongue

Posted by oh_teh_noes on 02-15-2009 at22:16:

eww, inverted, sick and wrong Tongue

personally i just use normal. have tried inverted, but it would take so much effort to adapt to.

nice thread, interesting to see the results.

Posted by DemonDude2 on 02-15-2009 at23:34:

quote:
Originally posted by Artoir.
quote:

That's not a pun, that's a euphimism. And no one had thought of it until you said it Tongue

I nu that.. it was a test!!!

Posted by dreamdusk on 02-22-2010 at22:59:

Inverted...push forward, lean forward, look down.

Pull back, lean back, look up.

Far more natural.

Posted by pricey on 02-23-2010 at07:48:

voted normal i did, cus i find it better for some reason

m 2 cents Wink

regards.

Posted by darc on 02-23-2010 at11:02:

i use both but i go for inverted most of the time it feels better for me and my aiming doesnt miss lol

so am voting inverted

Posted by mortanius on 02-23-2010 at12:51:

Inverted and I have been ever since Starmaster on the Atari 2600.

Posted by Nerakai on 02-23-2010 at14:29:

normal all the way lol somethin just feels right bout up going up and down going down but when up goes down and down goes up its just confusing lol

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH