Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Offtopic » Riddle » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Riddle
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Sanguinarius

images/avatars/avatar-606.jpg

Registration Date: 10-19-2009
Race in game: Cultist
Clan: V13 BC

Riddle Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

In a street there are five houses, painted five different colors.

In each house lives a person of different nationality.

These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

Who owns the fish???

Necessary clues:

1. The British man lives in a red house.
2. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Danish man drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sanguinarius: 11-09-2009 01:24.

11-09-2009 01:24 Sanguinarius is offline Search for Posts by Sanguinarius Add Sanguinarius to your Buddy List
nero

images/avatars/avatar-607.jpeg

Registration Date: 09-27-2009
Race in game: Absorber
Clan: End/SoT

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

is it the british guy

11-09-2009 10:33 nero is offline Search for Posts by nero Add nero to your Buddy List
Sanguinarius

Thread Starter Thread Started by Sanguinarius
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

NO anyone eles

11-09-2009 12:32 Sanguinarius is offline Search for Posts by Sanguinarius Add Sanguinarius to your Buddy List
nero

images/avatars/avatar-607.jpeg

Registration Date: 09-27-2009
Clan: End/SoT

wait i'm confused now =[

11-09-2009 12:42 nero is offline Search for Posts by nero Add nero to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

Registration Date: 02-03-2008

quote:
Originally posted by Sanguinarius
NO anyone eles

How is that possible when u said they all own diifferent pets?
11-09-2009 14:03 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
Sanguinarius

its a riddle its a hard one to so work it out

thay all own diff pets but who owns the fish

u have the clues

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Sanguinarius: 11-09-2009 14:52.

11-09-2009 14:50 Sanguinarius is offline Search for Posts by Sanguinarius Add Sanguinarius to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

Wink

Edited to exclude answer
11-09-2009 14:53 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
Sanguinarius

u use the net but thats cool u riuned it close the thread

also explain how u arrived at the answer

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sanguinarius: 11-09-2009 14:59.

11-09-2009 14:58 Sanguinarius is offline Search for Posts by Sanguinarius Add Sanguinarius to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

Meant to edit my post :S

Was gunna say tht u should use more obscure riddles. Such a famous riddle will be easy with google Tongue
11-09-2009 14:59 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
Sanguinarius

If you can answer this without looking it up, (though i doubt the answer is online),

100 prisoners are imprisoned in solitary cells. Each cell is windowless and soundproof. There's a central living room with one light bulb; the bulb is initially off. No prisoner can see the light bulb from his or her own cell. Each day, the warden picks a prisoner equally at random, and that prisoner visits the central living room; at the end of the day the prisoner is returned to his cell. While in the living room, the prisoner can toggle the bulb if he or she wishes. Also, the prisoner has the option of asserting the claim that all 100 prisoners have been to the living room. If this assertion is false (that is, some prisoners still haven't been to the living room), all 100 prisoners will be shot for their stupidity. However, if it is indeed true, all prisoners are set free and inducted into MENSA, since the world can always use more smart people. Thus, the assertion should only be made if the prisoner is 100% certain of its validity.

Before this whole procedure begins, the prisoners are allowed to get together in the courtyard to discuss a plan. What is the optimal plan they can agree on, so that eventually, someone will make a correct assertion?

obscure a nuf aud?

i wont post a reply tell some one gets it and so far no one has

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Sanguinarius: 11-09-2009 19:07.

11-09-2009 15:16 Sanguinarius is offline Search for Posts by Sanguinarius Add Sanguinarius to your Buddy List
Raxis
Set Abominae

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 12-12-2007
Race in game: Beastmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Sanguinarius
If you can answer this without looking it up, (though i doubt the answer is online),

100 prisoners are imprisoned in solitary cells. Each cell is windowless and soundproof. There's a central living room with one light bulb; the bulb is initially off. No prisoner can see the light bulb from his or her own cell. Each day, the warden picks a prisoner equally at random, and that prisoner visits the central living room; at the end of the day the prisoner is returned to his cell. While in the living room, the prisoner can toggle the bulb if he or she wishes. Also, the prisoner has the option of asserting the claim that all 100 prisoners have been to the living room. If this assertion is false (that is, some prisoners still haven't been to the living room), all 100 prisoners will be shot for their stupidity. However, if it is indeed true, all prisoners are set free and inducted into MENSA, since the world can always use more smart people. Thus, the assertion should only be made if the prisoner is 100% certain of its validity.

Before this whole procedure begins, the prisoners are allowed to get together in the courtyard to discuss a plan. What is the optimal plan they can agree on, so that eventually, someone will make a correct assertion?

Right. One person counts.

Basically he is the only one to turn the light off. All others can turn it on.

The non-counters only turn it on once, the first time they enter the room. Should they enter a second time then they leave the light off. If the light is on when they enter then they leave it alone. However the one keeping count turns it off, and adds another one to his count. When he reaches ninety nine, excluding himself, he knows that he is the only one who has not been accounted for, and thus has 100% validity.

I think

EDIT: Looking over it, I'm not sure it's right. But I'm taking the answer for a similar riddle.

It's quite a tough one

Your imperfection.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Raxis: 11-09-2009 16:29.

11-09-2009 16:28 Raxis is offline Search for Posts by Raxis Add Raxis to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

Every time a prisoner turns it on the make note of it. If they have to turn it on more times they dont mark themselves down or mark x2, x3 etc...
11-09-2009 17:43 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
Nemazis
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-1123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2008
Clan: Badger

Simplez.

First time you go in the room, you take a dump in the corner. If you go in again at any time, DON'T dump in the corner.

Whoever walks in and passes out is the 100th person.

And I'm backety back and I'm back y'all
I'm backety back back
And back back and backety back yo
Because I'm back and I'm black
11-09-2009 18:39 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
foxy9
Lord

Registration Date: 06-27-2009
Clan: LIG + DASH

Lols,

Joke
I think they put knife in shoe and draw line on floor =)

Proper
Um i think, i agree with Raxis

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Trailer) Its Brilliant
11-09-2009 18:47 foxy9 is offline Search for Posts by foxy9 Add foxy9 to your Buddy List
purenova

Registration Date: 05-19-2009
Clan: AvE

only problem with what raxis said is that they don't know day and night. they can't keep count of the number of times it has been clicked.
this riddle is incredibly hard..prolly have a stupid answer like mark the walls or pee a dot on the corner lol.

but i think a true way of solving it would HAVE to include the prisonners leaving some kind of mark.

edit

so after some thinking and re reading of raxis solution

i think i understand
Step 1
everyone agrees one 1 person (extremely good at counting) to be the counter

Step 2
when a new person goes in, he or she turns the light on, if it was already on, leave it on.

Step 3
when the counter goes in, he or she turns it off. (This way, he/she is the only person who keeps counting and there are not other variables.)

Step 4, repeat process

Step 5, if he turns it off 99 times, he knows everyother person has been to the living room since he never turns it on.

but this seems so unreasonable. 1/100 chance the counter is choosen...last person to not turn on the light is 1/100
so the chances of just the last person and the counter is 1/10,000. not including all the other people. This would take at least 100,000 days....lol not worth it. i would just guess after 10 years or so...if i die oh well...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by purenova: 11-09-2009 19:31.

11-09-2009 19:22 purenova is offline Search for Posts by purenova Add purenova to your Buddy List
Raxis
Set Abominae

quote:
Originally posted by purenova
only problem with what raxis said is that they don't know day and night. they can't keep count of the number of times it has been clicked.
this riddle is incredibly hard..prolly have a stupid answer like mark the walls or pee a dot on the corner lol.

but i think a true way of solving it would HAVE to include the prisonners leaving some kind of mark.

They don't NEED to know day and night. Only one of them is counting. And it relies on the actual light. You can see a lightbulb being on/off whenever.

EDIT: Also you forget only one prisoner turns it off, the rest turn it on... if they haven't already. It does rely on memory. But what is there to leave a mark with? Remember if the guy goes in and the light is off and he's made a count of 99 he'll know he's the hundredth person, because he doesn't turn the light on... thus he knows for certain that all 100 have been in the room

Your imperfection.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Raxis: 11-09-2009 19:30.

11-09-2009 19:24 Raxis is offline Search for Posts by Raxis Add Raxis to your Buddy List
Sanguinarius

quote:
Originally posted by Raxis
quote:
Originally posted by purenova

They don't NEED to know day and night. Only one of them is counting. And it relies on the actual light. You can see a lightbulb being on/off whenever

read it again

(Each cell is windowless and soundproof)

11-09-2009 19:30 Sanguinarius is offline Search for Posts by Sanguinarius Add Sanguinarius to your Buddy List
purenova

Registration Date: 05-19-2009
Clan: AvE

like i said...pee a yellow stain on the white prison wall. 100 spots around the wall equals happy ending.
11-09-2009 19:32 purenova is offline Search for Posts by purenova Add purenova to your Buddy List
Raxis
Set Abominae

quote:
read it again

(Each cell is windowless and soundproof)

Try again. My use of the word whenever was referring to being in the central living room.

|
Here
|

quote:
There's a central living room with one light bulb; the bulb is initially off. No prisoner can see the light bulb from his or her own cell. Each day, the warden picks a prisoner equally at random, and that prisoner visits the central living room; at the end of the day the prisoner is returned to his cell.

Your imperfection.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Raxis: 11-09-2009 19:45.

11-09-2009 19:42 Raxis is offline Search for Posts by Raxis Add Raxis to your Buddy List
OTNC
OrangeMöd

images/avatars/avatar-583.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2009
Clan: V-13/BoS

2 hours and 4 pages of working out, and i have every single house/colour/nationality/pet/cigarette/drink in the correct spot Smile

thanks for finding a creative way to waste time Smile

wont post answer for spolier reasons, but can confirm for anyone in pm etc Smile

03-20-2010 18:41 OTNC is offline Search for Posts by OTNC Add OTNC to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Offtopic » Riddle

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH