Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Offtopic » Swearing on the forum » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Go to the bottom of this page Swearing on the forum 3 Votes - Average Rating: 7.003 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
LucifersAngel
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-718.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2009
Race in game: Absorber

Swearing on the forum Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Why do we insist on a 'no swearing' policy in forum for the sake of childhood innocence when one of the first buildings you build is a brothel (a building in which people solicit sex for money), and later in the game, this forbidden language is even in quest reports?

http://r1.bloodwars.net/showmsg.php?mid=...&key=6a959a656a

"Tapestry hanging on the wall caught on fire. `This is getting f%£$*& ridiculous!`, you thought and your beast within burnt with bloodthirst, `To invade MY estate!`"

It's just double standards in my opinion. What does everyone else think?

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada
For everyone everything, for us nothing

EZLN

06-03-2010 13:25 LucifersAngel is offline Homepage of LucifersAngel Search for Posts by LucifersAngel Add LucifersAngel to your Buddy List
diablo
The contract has expired - former moderator.

images/avatars/avatar-735.jpeg

Registration Date: 07-05-2007
Race in game: Cultist
Clan: BoS

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We insist on it because we are polite, because we are not animals, because we're intelligent, because it is rude to swear, because we can express our thoughts and emotions in another way, because swearing is offensive, because we have manners, because we want to.
Anything else?

06-03-2010 13:33 diablo is offline Homepage of diablo Search for Posts by diablo Add diablo to your Buddy List
LucifersAngel
Lord

Thread Starter Thread Started by LucifersAngel
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I never said the no swearing thing was a bad thing, I just said that it is something of a double standard and a juxtaposition considering the gameplay.

On the other hand, if you can find me an animal that does swear that isn't a parrot, not only would I be very impressed, but I'd have a new pet for the sake of the laughs it would no doubt give me haha.

EZLN

06-03-2010 13:38 LucifersAngel is offline Homepage of LucifersAngel Search for Posts by LucifersAngel Add LucifersAngel to your Buddy List
liamb1992
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-234.jpg

Registration Date: 01-01-2008
Race in game: Thoughtcatcher
Clan: Source

quote:
Originally posted by diablo
We insist on it because we are polite, because we are not animals, because we're intelligent, because it is rude to swear, because we can express our thoughts and emotions in another way, because swearing is offensive, because we have manners, because we want to.
Anything else?

This ^

We don't need swearing to be able to voice our opinions or feelings, and if you do you're either rather annoyed, or you don't know enough vocabulary to fill in the blanks so you use swear words instead.

You make a fair point about it being in quest reports, but i think its just plain rude if you feel the need to swear all the time. There is both a time and a place for swearing, the forum is not it. Tongue
06-03-2010 13:48 liamb1992 is offline Search for Posts by liamb1992 Add liamb1992 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for liamb1992
LucifersAngel
Lord

quote:
Originally posted by diablo
We insist on it because we are polite, because we are not animals, because we're intelligent, because it is rude to swear, because we can express our thoughts and emotions in another way, because swearing is offensive, because we have manners...

Stephen Fry (A most polite and intelligent man, whose manners could not possibly be questioned), discussing the "Joys of Swearing":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM
(Believe it or not, this contains swearing so those under 16, do not click the link.)

EZLN

06-03-2010 14:00 LucifersAngel is offline Homepage of LucifersAngel Search for Posts by LucifersAngel Add LucifersAngel to your Buddy List
jeikun

Registration Date: 04-05-2009

Thanks Diablo for calling me and probably alot of other people animals

Also i think that comment is incorrect as everybody swears, heck i bet even you swear when you take your head out your arse,
06-03-2010 14:11 jeikun is offline Search for Posts by jeikun Add jeikun to your Buddy List
diablo
The contract has expired - former moderator.

images/avatars/avatar-735.jpeg

Registration Date: 07-05-2007

Jeikun:
quote:
Originally posted by liamb1992
There is both a time and a place for swearing, the forum is not it. Tongue

Yes, I swear from time to time, but I'm 100% sure that nobody has EVER seen me swearing here on the board. If you want to swear, do it somewhere else.
For the record: I have never had my head up my ass, I would find no joy in doing so plus my body would be a bit against it Wink

06-03-2010 14:17 diablo is offline Homepage of diablo Search for Posts by diablo Add diablo to your Buddy List
liamb1992
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-234.jpg

Registration Date: 01-01-2008
Race in game: Thoughtcatcher
Clan: Source

Well now let's not be arguing on the forum.... or at least keep it to a minimum Tongue

quote:
Originally posted by jeikun
Also i think that comment is incorrect as everybody swears

I agree, i think everybody does, intentionally or not, swear at some point. It's just an easy way of showing anger, exasperation, etc

quote:
Thanks Diablo for calling me and probably alot of other people animals

I'm not entirely sure thats how he meant it, it's not fit for polite society for a reason. For example if your boss/teacher called you in for a chat i'm sure you wouldn't start insert swearwords into the conversation, you'd follow a certain etiquette, however we're digressing. This topic is about swearing on the forum, even though its offtopic lets at least try to keep some semblance of direction Tongue

EDIT

For the record i am against swearing on the board.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by liamb1992: 06-03-2010 14:19.

06-03-2010 14:19 liamb1992 is offline Search for Posts by liamb1992 Add liamb1992 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for liamb1992
LucifersAngel
Lord

At least I'm glad we've moved away from only "unintelligent, animalistic, rude people without manners" swear. Thank you Mr Fry Tongue

I agree that there shouldn't be swearing on the forum for the sake of it not being required in general discussions, but in the case of things such as the screaming room (where people are expressing severe indignation) it seems like double standards when the game itself has been proven to swear and be inappropriate with regards to content.

EDIT: For the record, I too don't want swearing on the board. I just feel there is something of a double standard.

EZLN

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by LucifersAngel: 06-03-2010 14:26.

06-03-2010 14:24 LucifersAngel is offline Homepage of LucifersAngel Search for Posts by LucifersAngel Add LucifersAngel to your Buddy List
jeikun

Hmm i have sworn infront of my teachers xD

The point hasn't been if we want to swear on the board or not, just that it's ironic that we are told no offensive language yet the game includes it within itself
06-03-2010 14:24 jeikun is offline Search for Posts by jeikun Add jeikun to your Buddy List
LucifersAngel
Lord

quote:
Hmm i have sworn infront of my teachers xD

Actually in my last year of school, the teachers completely relaxed and they were worse than most of the students (Youngest of the students were 17). I too have sworn in front of teachers MANY times.

EZLN

06-03-2010 14:28 LucifersAngel is offline Homepage of LucifersAngel Search for Posts by LucifersAngel Add LucifersAngel to your Buddy List
jeikun

Haha cool techers, one of my teachers came into college high every lesson, that was quite fun,
06-03-2010 14:29 jeikun is offline Search for Posts by jeikun Add jeikun to your Buddy List
Beatrice_2
Double Ace

images/avatars/avatar-654.gif

Registration Date: 03-21-2009
Clan: BK

if i remember rightly this thing has been disgust before, i've just tried to search for the thread but i don't know where its gone, but it has and that actual video indeed was used because agresiel posted it on a thread, THERE IS NO NEED TO SWEAR!! this is a game where children play and it does not need to be broadcast on a public forum

EDIT:
i swear ^_^ evan didn't help me find it XD Swearing

EVANS & CESARZ NUMBER 1 FAN
Click if you want a giggle XD

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Beatrice_2: 06-03-2010 15:48.

06-03-2010 15:37 Beatrice_2 is offline Homepage of Beatrice_2 Search for Posts by Beatrice_2 Add Beatrice_2 to your Buddy List
LucifersAngel
Lord

quote:
Originally posted by Beatrice_2
if i remember rightly this thing has been disgust before, i've just tried to search for the thread but i don't know where its gone, but it has and that actual video indeed was used because agresiel posted it on a thread

I did search but I couldn't find anything. Oh well, sorry about that.

quote:
THERE IS NO NEED TO SWEAR!! this is a game where children play and it does not need to be broadcast on a public forum

I think it is a truth universally acknowledged, that none of us want swearing on the forum, but I don't understand what point you are trying to make with this. Are you saying that the swearing doesn't need to be broadcast on the public forum (if so, everyone has already agreed), or that the swearing ingame doesn't need to be broadcast?

EZLN

06-03-2010 15:59 LucifersAngel is offline Homepage of LucifersAngel Search for Posts by LucifersAngel Add LucifersAngel to your Buddy List
Beatrice_2
Double Ace

images/avatars/avatar-654.gif

Registration Date: 03-21-2009
Clan: BK

but in game its a story, a few odd words here and there you guys are chatting there are other words to be used instead of swear words, it doesn't have to be brought to the forum when there are a few words might be said hidden in a quest that most people might not even read :S

EVANS & CESARZ NUMBER 1 FAN
Click if you want a giggle XD

06-03-2010 16:09 Beatrice_2 is offline Homepage of Beatrice_2 Search for Posts by Beatrice_2 Add Beatrice_2 to your Buddy List
OTNC
OrangeMöd

images/avatars/avatar-583.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2009
Clan: V-13/BoS

quote:
Originally posted by LucifersAngel
Stephen Fry (A most polite and intelligent man, whose manners could not possibly be questioned), discussing the "Joys of Swearing":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM
(Believe it or not, this contains swearing so those under 16, do not click the link.)

"Swearing is unnecessary. But then so are coloured socks. And this cushion. Its the unnecessary things in life, the little extras, that make it interesting."

06-03-2010 16:15 OTNC is offline Search for Posts by OTNC Add OTNC to your Buddy List
LucifersAngel
Lord

To make comment on this thread, this thread isn't designed to persuade mods, admins or whoever to allow swearing on the forum. I do NOT want swearing on the forum as there is no actual requirement in general discussion about the game. The only place, as I said before, where it might even be slightly acceptable would be the screaming room. The idea behind this thread was to point out the graphic nature of the game (I notice that no-one has mentioned the fact of the Brothel), and potentially point out the fact that whilst 'children' (minimum age 13 due to COPPA regulations see http://www.coppa.org) play this game, censoring so much on the forum for sake of their innocence might be redundant due to the inappropriate content ingame. I'm a mod on another site and understand the point of protecting the innocent and that COPPA link is often quoted in chat to underage users, but if they have supplied details online they are, supposedly, at least 13, and there is only so much we can officially censor from them. In the UK, a 12 certificate film is legally allowed to represent the 'f word' twice as well as show violent and minor sexual conduct. In conclusion, what I'm trying to say is maybe the fact that people are so against swearing on the forum is a good thing, but maybe it continues the censorship culture we are perpetuating. The people on this forum are old enough to legally view this content, so why is there such outcry when one person suggests otherwise?

EDIT: Overall view from me, the thread starter, NO swearing on the forum. Hopefully that will clear that issue up.

EZLN

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by LucifersAngel: 06-03-2010 16:25.

06-03-2010 16:24 LucifersAngel is offline Homepage of LucifersAngel Search for Posts by LucifersAngel Add LucifersAngel to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

Registration Date: 10-22-2008

now that this issue has been discussed again, thread closed.

06-03-2010 23:41 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Offtopic » Swearing on the forum

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH