Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Offtopic » Immortality: Would you take it? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Immortality: Would you take it? 2 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Nemazis
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-1123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2008
Race in game: Absorber
Clan: Badger

Immortality: Would you take it? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Popped into my head while I was trying to go asleep. Other things caused it, but whatever, that's for another day.

Simple version: You are offered immortality for you and one other. You can't pass it on by having good old bed fun. Do you accept or not?

Man this was so much better organised in my brain...

Lets say someone, who is currently immortal, offers you the gift of immortality for you and one other, no catch apart from that you are obviously immortal. (You can pass said gift onto the other whenever you want, but its only ONE SINGLE OTHER)
Reason theres two gifts of immortality? Well its lonely being the sole immortal.

Immortality is ONLY passed on, not in your genes or anything (So you can't go "LETS MAEK BABBY" and have immortal babies)

Just because you are immortal, doesn't mean you can't feel pain, be it physical/mental/emotional. Just means you can't die by any standards. Although, you WILL die by suicide. Eg Pouncing upon a grenade JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT. Or suicide bombing to say the least. Not saying that you can't go to war and gun everyone down if you REALLY feel to.

EDIT: Ah, thats one thing i forgot. You can stay at whatever age you please ofcourse (Eternal Youth as paranoia said)

Long term:

You can 'pass on' whenever you choose, same goes for whoever else has immortality. Also passing over the immortality ends your own life, Otherwise people could extend their own life by passing it between two people non-stop.

Immortality MUST be passed on to someone else before you leave this world. If one of the two passes on without passing the gift, the second holder now bears their own immortality and the gift for another IF they choose to give. (By the way, i'm completely disregarding religious beliefs. If you believe there is a heaven/hell, knock yourself out, if you believe there is nothing... well once again, whatever)

Now that i've named the terms that i could recall, re-read the thread name, and answer the question.

And before you answer, actually THINK about your answer. Any answers like "LOL OFCOURSE NOW I CAN F"&$ PEOPLE FOR MANY YEARS TO COME" is a sure-fire way to make yourself look like a god-damn blasted retarded who needs to be taken out back and get put down for shaming the human race.

And I'm backety back and I'm back y'all
I'm backety back back
And back back and backety back yo
Because I'm back and I'm black

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Nemazis: 06-10-2011 19:58.

06-10-2011 14:31 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
Paranoia
tHeY'Re WatChInG mE!

images/avatars/avatar-147.gif

Registration Date: 12-01-2007
Clan: HERP-DERP

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Immortality.... if it came with a free shot of eternal youth then maybe...

The thing is i dont think id want to live forever as the body may be able to endure but the mind would not...

Id enjoy the chance to increase my life and do all the things i otherwise would not be able to do but forever.... thats just a little too long....

And this whole gifting thing.... i would probably give my immortality to someone that could help people scientifically and not a friend as you never know what a person would do if he was given immortality.

quote:
Originally posted by FlashAOD
Give up. Paranoia clearly destroyed your argument.

get used to it, I'm good at it

Smile

06-10-2011 15:00 Paranoia is offline Search for Posts by Paranoia Add Paranoia to your Buddy List
Nemazis
Lord

Thread Starter Thread Started by Nemazis
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Forgot about eternal youth, i KNEW i forgot something. Anyway editted and added that.

And the only reason I added the gifting thing was really me just trying to find a way around immortality being passed on therough genes, aswell as NOT being able to just go around making absolutely everyone immortal.

Lastly, I probably should add that as another question. Would you accept immortality, and who would you pass the second one onto? Some perhaps might choose a life partner, others would choose a friend, others might choose someone important, and the last lot? Probably someone that they deem "Worthy" of ruling the world with them -.-

I'm backety back back
06-10-2011 15:09 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
Firetrap
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-991.jpg

Registration Date: 04-29-2011
Race in game: Thoughtcatcher
Clan: HLL

I couldnt do it with just one other person, having to endure the pain of watching everyone you know and love pass on and then getting to know new people only to watch them pass to. Dark thoughts i know but that would be to much for me. I think i live a pretty good standard of life apart from my BW addiction but hey it aint no smack lol so im pretty happy being mortal.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Firetrap: 06-10-2011 17:49.

06-10-2011 17:49 Firetrap is offline Search for Posts by Firetrap Add Firetrap to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Firetrap
Cthulhu
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpeg

Registration Date: 11-29-2007
Clan: HL

Good to see your brain is still as active as ever Nemz. Wink

Eternal life really is a double edged sword - with or without someone to share it with. There would be so many things you could do, teach yourself, achieve for others. You would experience so much change, whether good or bad, you would see the world evolve around you; that would be a truly awesome thing.

You would see so much death, pain, suffering; not just of the people you know, but of all the others in the world... jeez, sometimes it drives me nuts just reading a week's worth of news; imagine if it was 500 years? Could you honestly say that would not affect you?

Not only that, but if you chose to promote yourself, you would become a legend; a god even? But would that be a good thing? I suppose it depends on how you used those eons of knowledge - would you be generous, loving, forgiving towards the "mortals" that surround you? Or would those long years of enduring the stench and ignorance of humanity corrupt & twist you into something that decided humans weren't worth your graces...

And even if you were sick of it all, could you give it up?

Tough questions... if someone was interested in joining me I might consider it. But I couldn't guarantee I would be a benevolent immortal! Tongue

HBS

ENCHANTMENT
06-10-2011 22:11 Cthulhu is offline Homepage of Cthulhu Search for Posts by Cthulhu Add Cthulhu to your Buddy List
Firetrap
Lord

One could shoot themselves in the foot quite literally and live to tell the tale Tongue There could be a funny side to this but tbh matey above got it in one, made my reply look pathetic lol.

It would be hard to give up, id struggle to give up what ive done so far let alone giving away 100 lifetimes worth of work, but once youve done EVERYTHING what else can you do but do it all again? Is doing everything even possible even with immortality?

06-10-2011 22:34 Firetrap is offline Search for Posts by Firetrap Add Firetrap to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Firetrap
Nemazis
Lord

Oh god someone kill me for my long-ass replies!

@Cthulhu: This is why I asked, gets ya thinking, saves you from being braindead, and it's something all of us have considered at one point Big Grin

And we could all probably guarentee that the majority of earth would be a cruel tyrant with their immortality. Aaaaaaand you'll have the select few who decide to stay young, preying on the young, because AS USUAL, you've got a few horny bast- ugh god I hate the rules here sometimes...

Although I guess now would be a good time to answer my own question (Go figure, I never tried to answer it at all before)

Personally, I'm... unstable to say the least, not an insane unstable, but unstable. Throw living forever into that, witnessing death, pain and suffering everywhere around me while being a kind (alebit rude) soul, would probably be a fate worse than hell itself for me. And anyone I could pass it onto? Well... I'll have to wait until I get a life partner before I can even CONSIDER answering that part. Sure as hell know I'm not giving it to a friend or family. My friends aren't exactly the best of influences... and family? Well that's just selfish.

EDIT: Just realised that a life partner would come under "Family". While totally ignoring that, it'd obviously be a choice of someone to spend my life with, or someone who can benefit the world in some way. One is selfish as all hell, the other one is generous to the world, BUT you are dooming yourself to lonelyness, unless you decide to stick with them in a totally mutual "We're immortal buddies now" way.

@Firetrap: Think about it, after living for several lifetimes, seeing all that pain and suffering, and watching your children die, your childrens children, and further etcetc, you'll be in an immense amount of pain. One thing I know, is NO PARENT should have to attend their childrens funeral, yet you'll effectively be watching your entire family line dying. Ofcourse after the first two generations, I think the pain will wear off. (Mostly because by then it'll be diluted abit, not because you're immune to death)

But after all of that emotional pain, aswell as any physical and mental pain you have suffered, you would probably GLADLY take a bullet through the head just to end it all.

I'm backety back back

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Nemazis: 06-10-2011 23:16.

06-10-2011 23:14 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
Mortis
Emperor

images/avatars/avatar-47.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007
Clan: BoS exLead

Anytime. Just tell me how.

"Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind."
06-11-2011 00:00 Mortis is offline Search for Posts by Mortis Add Mortis to your Buddy List Add Mortis to your Contact List
Undivisible
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-638.jpg

Registration Date: 07-25-2008
Clan: HFTFlea

I'd take it Smile , I bet I'd be happy to:
- see my great grandchildren,
- gain new friends,
- finally realise what really matters(so I probably won't care about petty stuff like common "news") and still have all the time I want for it,
- learn something that would be interesting in the long run, but seems to be to complex/useless in normal lifespan.

And a lot more Big Grin . You guys mention only bad stuff, but think how many things you can try.

quote:
IGN: Atomos

06-11-2011 01:25 Undivisible is offline Search for Posts by Undivisible Add Undivisible to your Buddy List
Evangelion
The warning machine

images/avatars/avatar-71.jpg

Registration Date: 03-01-2007
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: BoS

I'd gladly accept the immortality gift. I'd watch all the banned players die of old age while I'm laughing right in front of my screen Tongue

On a serious note, it's far to soon for me to think about such things. I haven't tasted the world enough to decide whether I want to stay and go insane or die and achieve peace Wink

And making the choice is difficult since you'll see everyone, except the second immortal person, die right in front of your eyes and you won't be able to do anything about that. Everyone you love would just go away.

All complaints on all the Moderators should be sent to me via

PM rules = who is who and what may be reported to whom

"Getting old is mandatory... being mature is optional"

06-11-2011 02:29 Evangelion is offline Homepage of Evangelion Search for Posts by Evangelion Add Evangelion to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Evangelion
Noumenon

Registration Date: 01-11-2010

Yes I would take it, since you've given conditions to be able to end it.

Though if you lived forever would you get much done relative to that time? Surely you'd become lazier?

And wash away my innocence and fear
06-11-2011 03:47 Noumenon is offline Search for Posts by Noumenon Add Noumenon to your Buddy List
VomitorY
Forum Ace

images/avatars/avatar-928.jpg

Registration Date: 04-16-2010
Race in game: Cursed One
Clan: DASH

Immortality,you say? No.
Eternal youth? STILL NO.

Let me elaborate.

You all have covered the topic of immense amounts of pain,etc.

But when does the true moment in life appear that we wish for immortality? Meeting the love of your life? Getting a raise? Finding a portal to the Underworld? All complicated questions,rendering immortality a topic not to be discussed among the younger population in which i reside. But still,i sometimes wish that i can stay forever 16,but what does it matter if only one can come with me??

Times come when i think that it would be awesome to be immortal,along with a load of friends,family,etc. However,since i am in it alone,i automatically live in a different world. I do not think that any normal person in this world would have the mental power to withstand the passing of his/her entire lifeline of family, or best friends.

Times come when we need all of them. Not just one specific person. That is the sole reason why immortality should not be passed on to anyone.

Besides,what would you do when everyone you previously knew dies? Meet new generations in the next century? No. I would rather pick time travel. Immortality is too much for the mind to withstand.

I know what you are thinking. Why Time Travel?
I would go back.. to May 1st,2009. And call the ambulance.

That's what it is to be slaved

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by VomitorY: 06-11-2011 16:44.

06-11-2011 14:43 VomitorY is offline Homepage of VomitorY Search for Posts by VomitorY Add VomitorY to your Buddy List
Nemazis
Lord

Well, gotta say that it's nice seeing quite afew familiars answering the question, aswell as others Big Grin

Anyway, i've gotta ask (Spam or not, whatever)

@VomitorY: May 1st 2009? Personal or something else? (Google'd, got nothing, although a date doesn't seem smart to google)

I'm backety back back
06-11-2011 16:52 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
Cthulhu
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpeg

Registration Date: 11-29-2007
Clan: HL

quote:
Originally posted by VomitorY
But when does the true moment in life appear that we wish for immortality?

I think that moment is when the wisdom of experience makes you realise your own actual mortality, and the frailty of life. Whether that moment is when you are 12 or 62, it does not matter; because all that matters is that you recognise this one singular experience, no matter how long it lasts, is the only chance you have to live.

Whether you believe in an "after-life" or not, that is irrelevant. This life, this experience, your very short existence in this corporeal, material dimension is a one time deal.

And I would not concentrate on the negatives; I would revel in the positives of living a thousand lifetimes; but my point was that the negatives would wear you down. And that, your mind & outlook on "life" would be indescribably altered after living through so much change.

The vast majority of humans do not like change; so you would need to be an incredibly well balanced individual not to be effected by the amount that you would endure after so many years.

Still... where do I sign up, I wanna be immortal and spend a hundred years snoozing! Big Grin

HBS

ENCHANTMENT
06-11-2011 17:09 Cthulhu is offline Homepage of Cthulhu Search for Posts by Cthulhu Add Cthulhu to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

Registration Date: 10-22-2008

to make this decision you would have to be sort of intellectual.

you would have to realize that death is a natural part of the life cycle, if only to not suffer for the rest of your existence.

pain is temporary no matter how you look at it.

i would take the gift of immortality, and do something worthwhile with it. study medicine or science or something and give something back.

sounds cheesy, but with great power comes great responsibility. i would feel compelled to give something back.

06-11-2011 19:29 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
VomitorY
Forum Ace

images/avatars/avatar-928.jpg

Registration Date: 04-16-2010
Race in game: Cursed One
Clan: DASH

quote:
Originally posted by Nemazis

@VomitorY: May 1st 2009? Personal or something else? (Google'd, got nothing, although a date doesn't seem smart to google)

Personal. If you really want to know,PM me...

That's what it is to be slaved

06-11-2011 23:34 VomitorY is offline Homepage of VomitorY Search for Posts by VomitorY Add VomitorY to your Buddy List
OTNC
OrangeMöd

images/avatars/avatar-583.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2009
Race in game: Cultist
Clan: V-13/BoS

quote:
Originally posted by Mortis
Anytime. Just tell me how.

This.

Choose a nemesis & have a good time.

Or, just work for 100 years straight & pile up the money.

Invest until infinite.

Chillax with your new found infinite monnies & HP.

06-12-2011 11:21 OTNC is offline Search for Posts by OTNC Add OTNC to your Buddy List
Lysandra
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-344.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2008
Race in game: Beastmaster

Being perfectly honest, I would take the chance for immortality. I'm not 100% certain who I'd pick as the second person but I would definately want to be immortal, especially since I could chose to pass it on once I was finished with life.

Why? Simple. I have a long list of things I'd love to achieve as well as a long list of things I'd like to see. Frankly, I can't see myself doing it all in one life-time.

I know there's the whole debate about seeing all the people you love die. Really though when you're young enough, you tend to see that anyway. Most people live to see both sets of grandparents and parents die. Personally, if I knew I was immortal, I wouldn't bother with children. The only people who I would see die are my friends and the few family memebers I had. Eventually that pain would fade as all pain does.

As for seeing all the pain of the world, well I don't really pay much attention to that pain right now so I don't see myself paying attention to it later (as selfish as that sounds). I mean yes, I do feel sympathetic towards countries/people that are facing strife but it doesn't really have an affect on me as a person.

Personally, I think it would be fun to live hundreds of years. I know I'd be able to keep myself busy enough to not go insane.

quote:
Originally posted by *GayTiger*
lys... that was amazing, it's pure orgasm on a page!

06-13-2011 21:08 Lysandra is offline Homepage of Lysandra Search for Posts by Lysandra Add Lysandra to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Lysandra
Nemazis
Lord

quote:
Originally posted by OTNC

This.

Choose a nemesis & have a good time.

Or, just work for 100 years straight & pile up the money.

Invest until infinite.

Chillax with your new found infinite monnies & HP.

I'm not too sure if that's how it works by then...

I mean, what use is money when you live forever? You can (and will) get everything you ever wanted, including a swimming pool full of bikini babes all making out soaked in baby oil if you wanted.
This is why I would go insane with immortality.

I'm backety back back
06-14-2011 08:38 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
Undivisible
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-638.jpg

Registration Date: 07-25-2008
Clan: HFTFlea

Lol, I've just had this crazy idea xD : imagine getting rich and setting your age, so greedy attractive girls would marry you in hopes of getting inheritance, and then outlive them xD.

quote:
IGN: Atomos

06-14-2011 12:21 Undivisible is offline Search for Posts by Undivisible Add Undivisible to your Buddy List
OTNC
OrangeMöd

images/avatars/avatar-583.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2009
Race in game: Cultist
Clan: V-13/BoS

quote:
Originally posted by Nemazis

I'm not too sure if that's how it works by then...

I mean, what use is money when you live forever? You can (and will) get everything you ever wanted, including a swimming pool full of bikini babes all making out soaked in baby oil if you wanted.
This is why I would go insane with immortality.

If you're immortal, you don't wanna get picked up by scientists with scalpels & test chambers.

You want to be able to live.

I don't see how you can live with no dolla. Make urself some cash, then when you have a sizeable amount, make sure you can find a medium of useing your money to generate more money without working, i.e. investing, or setting up a company which can run itself.

Then you have 24h/day to chillax Cool

06-14-2011 12:30 OTNC is offline Search for Posts by OTNC Add OTNC to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

Registration Date: 10-22-2008

i think it would be funny to cause heart attacks when people ask your age, you say 2000 and there stands before them someone who looks no older than 25

06-15-2011 04:30 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Firetrap
Lord

I wonder how long my hair would be if i was a 25 year old who had lived a 1000 life times Red Face

06-15-2011 18:16 Firetrap is offline Search for Posts by Firetrap Add Firetrap to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Firetrap
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Offtopic » Immortality: Would you take it?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH