Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Mishmash » Mishmash - Underworld » server population » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page server population 8 Votes - Average Rating: 8.638 Votes - Average Rating: 8.638 Votes - Average Rating: 8.638 Votes - Average Rating: 8.63
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
grind
Double Ace

Registration Date: 01-22-2009
Race in game: Absorber
Clan: HLL

server population Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

v 1.4.26a Realm: Underworld
Created: 1.03.2007
Population: 17995

rofl seriously? We all believe it
how many active players left in UKUW??

I don't know the numbers, but I guess that even counting as active all people logging in at least once a month we aren't many more than 200 and surely far from the 4 digits...

So what about merging 2 servers in some way? That would have many consequences but would make sense for many players.

What about a poll? Maybe if most players agree developers could find a solution!
06-24-2013 18:33 grind is offline Homepage of grind Search for Posts by grind Add grind to your Buddy List
dtr
Triple Ace

Registration Date: 12-02-2008
Clan: BoS

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Depends on who we merge with! How many other servers are in our situation?

06-24-2013 19:03 dtr is offline Search for Posts by dtr Add dtr to your Buddy List
FlashAOD
Boob \o/

images/avatars/avatar-995.jpg

Registration Date: 01-06-2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What they should do is make a new server that is multilingual.

Have an UW & Necro that you can change the language on, no matter the player. They can do this for layouts and tattoos & already have the game in English, French, Polish etc.

What would hurt to have one option in the game itself to change this to a preferred language. I know people say to use Google Chrome.. Or as long as you know the item Pre / Sufx picture you fine, but it's just not the same.

If we are going to go for a new server I'd suggest one like this. Each .pl .fr .net can have a drop down for "International Server" and watch the players go nuts.

I don't think merging servers will help, because you will need to find 2 dying servers and make sure all of the majority of players are willing to get this to happen.
06-24-2013 19:10 FlashAOD is offline Search for Posts by FlashAOD Add FlashAOD to your Buddy List
Ace Rimmer

images/avatars/avatar-1104.jpg

Registration Date: 01-15-2013
Race in game: Beastmaster

quote:
Originally posted by FlashAOD

Have an UW & Necro that you can change the language on, no matter the player. They can do this for layouts and tattoos & already have the game in English, French, Polish etc.

What would hurt to have one option in the game itself to change this to a preferred language. I know people say to use Google Chrome.. Or as long as you know the item Pre / Sufx picture you fine, but it's just not the same.

If we are going to go for a new server I'd suggest one like this. Each .pl .fr .net can have a drop down for "International Server" and watch the players go nuts.

I don't think merging servers will help, because you will need to find 2 dying servers and make sure all of the majority of players are willing to get this to happen.

I've said about having the option of chosen language before to create multilingual server but was told its to difficult to program

06-24-2013 19:19 Ace Rimmer is offline Search for Posts by Ace Rimmer Add Ace Rimmer to your Buddy List
FlashAOD
Boob \o/

images/avatars/avatar-995.jpg

Registration Date: 01-06-2009

I don't see how it can be when you already have everything coded into the right languages. I'm no perfectionist on the PHP side of things but It doesn't seem that hard when all of the work SEEMS to be already done.

But as I say I'm not 100% on these things. Could be real trouble. Could be a couple days work..
06-24-2013 19:25 FlashAOD is offline Search for Posts by FlashAOD Add FlashAOD to your Buddy List
grind
Double Ace

Thread Starter Thread Started by grind

I think language problem can be resolved as you stated, and that some viable solutions, some of which could be fun to play, for instance an "invasion" event planned at a certain date.

Astronomist foresee an extremely huge meteorite will fall in the region, disintegrating the town and the whole area. The rivality between clans turned into general panic and disorder. The lord of the city convocates the high council to discute an emergency plan. After short discussion all the leaders decided to call a sudden ceasefire for the internal hostilities and start to prepare an invasion to the far city of XXX, hoping that the shockwave wont reach them that far!

Take any other crap post apochalyptic storyline, you put the 2 servers in a milkshake and the players will do the game.

Beside that I think that any merge solution, even the one giving me an empty z5 square in a lively server is better than stop playing because of the lack of players and the server collapse.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by grind: 06-24-2013 23:03.

06-24-2013 20:21 grind is offline Homepage of grind Search for Posts by grind Add grind to your Buddy List
Pissedoffhyperion
Forum Ace

Registration Date: 11-03-2012

quote:
Originally posted by FlashAOD

they should use the underworld base atm to make the new multilingual server Smile i dont think they could have a problem with that Smile , just have a setting on the main page in the corner "language" then select it Smile from then on all text would be in the right language Smile , they already have the different translations as such.

but i know nothing about servers :p, would it work?

edit: nvm i just realised how obselete this would make all the other servers Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Pissedoffhyperion: 06-24-2013 22:55.

06-24-2013 22:54 Pissedoffhyperion is offline Search for Posts by Pissedoffhyperion Add Pissedoffhyperion to your Buddy List
grind
Double Ace

Merging would work easily with server of the same kind, necropolis or underworld/moria, the only barrier would be the language, but that could quickly be resolved with a language button.

What would have a serious impact in the game for players is the fact that town structure will remain the same, so a true war would rage for the control of better squares and new alliances and power assets would emerge, a good breath of fresh air and... blood and wars again.
06-24-2013 23:22 grind is offline Homepage of grind Search for Posts by grind Add grind to your Buddy List
Cheese!!!!!!!!! :D
Double Ace

images/avatars/avatar-1055.png

Registration Date: 12-07-2009

I'm kinda for this idea, but I do have one question about the shoutbox...

Let's say we take our server and one of another language, and you can select your own language, and that's great for most aspects - but what would be the story with the shoutbox? Public channel in particular.

There would be possibly many people writing in another language asking about something, nobody's going to be bothered about translating their comment to see what they want and etc, and vice versa for one of us writing in English. ^^ and I know it will annoy the hell out of some people constantly not being able to understand someone without a translator of some sort and etc. I haven't thought a whole lot on this, but I thought I'd point it out as I'm just curious what other people's thoughts would be on this.

What would happen with that?^^ Would be nice to see some other opinions. ^^

06-24-2013 23:28 Cheese!!!!!!!!! :D is offline Search for Posts by Cheese!!!!!!!!! :D Add Cheese!!!!!!!!! :D to your Buddy List
Evangelion
The warning machine

images/avatars/avatar-71.jpg

Registration Date: 03-01-2007
Clan: BoS

It's actually a very bad idea.

First of all, the rules.
You'd have to choose the main language for the server and enforce it to all communications. Otherwise you'd find things like Ethiopians getting messages in Tagalog, to resolve the dispute you'd have to hire two translators.

Secondly,
I'm not sure, but the language seems to be hard coded into servers of different nationalities. I'm sure many of you clicked a link to a message from a polish server. Even something as simple as getting stones for advancing a level is in the language of the server and would be difficult to translate for someone who has never played the game and just clicks the link off some other forum.

And last thing,
If you want a new server, invite new people to the current ones, advertise as much as possible, do your best. Don't expect someone else to do things for you.
Running a server that hasn't got enough people is costly so the Dev team really needs a good reason.

All complaints on all the Moderators should be sent to me via

PM rules = who is who and what may be reported to whom

"Getting old is mandatory... being mature is optional"

06-25-2013 01:13 Evangelion is offline Homepage of Evangelion Search for Posts by Evangelion Add Evangelion to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Evangelion
Ace Rimmer

images/avatars/avatar-1104.jpg

Registration Date: 01-15-2013

quote:
Originally posted by Evangelion
It's actually a very bad idea.

First of all, the rules.
You'd have to choose the main language for the server and enforce it to all communications. Otherwise you'd find things like Ethiopians getting messages in Tagalog, to resolve the dispute you'd have to hire two translators.

Secondly,
I'm not sure, but the language seems to be hard coded into servers of different nationalities. I'm sure many of you clicked a link to a message from a polish server. Even something as simple as getting stones for advancing a level is in the language of the server and would be difficult to translate for someone who has never played the game and just clicks the link off some other forum.

And last thing,
If you want a new server, invite new people to the current ones, advertise as much as possible, do your best. Don't expect someone else to do things for you.
Running a server that hasn't got enough people is costly so the Dev team really needs a good reason.

Errr that's the point, merge 2 servers not make a new one but if it was a new one you could make it a premium user only server

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ace Rimmer: 06-25-2013 07:03.

06-25-2013 06:59 Ace Rimmer is offline Search for Posts by Ace Rimmer Add Ace Rimmer to your Buddy List
grind
Double Ace

who talks about a new server? I am talking of transfering UKUW active into another, not about creating a new one.
I doubt advertising can get new people in old servers, and often newcomers would start a totally new server because starting from scratch in one running since years has many handicaps, that's why new servers pops up.

As for the language they already have the french, english and polish version of the game, the game code is the same and modifyng the html page so you can choose language can be done in very short time.

Even the idea that only a language must be used for all communications can be abandoned, people will simply have relations with those they can communicate with.

Anyway a solution must be found, or UKBW will keep agonizing and die, suffering a white dwarf star death . The only bad idea is leaving things as they are now.
06-25-2013 11:25 grind is offline Homepage of grind Search for Posts by grind Add grind to your Buddy List
darc
Viking

Registration Date: 01-17-2008

well they could start with the beta for act 3 then build on it
06-25-2013 21:33 darc is offline Search for Posts by darc Add darc to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Mishmash » Mishmash - Underworld » server population

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH