Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Game system » "Begin a Quest" aggravation » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page "Begin a Quest" aggravation
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
UniversalRecipient

Registration Date: 04-05-2016

Mad "Begin a Quest" aggravation Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have finished all "Vicinity of the City" quests. Now, I am working on "A far journey" quests.

For the last two days, as one of my first game tasks, I joyfully click on the "DEPART" button, only to realize too late that...

With each new day, the system resets my "Begin a Quest" selection to "Vicinity of the City".

It's aggravating and completely unjustifiable. If the system can remember throughout the day (and several log ins and outs) that I'm working on "A far journey" quests, why on earth does it need to reset my selection at the start of every day?

Please change this system behavior.
04-12-2016 05:59 UniversalRecipient is offline Search for Posts by UniversalRecipient Add UniversalRecipient to your Buddy List
Konrad
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-917.html

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Last quest selection is actually stored in user's cookies in his browser. So either you're clearing cookies daily (or some of your plugin does) or you're using different browser/machine each time you login.
Right now we don't plan on storing this data directly on server (which doesn't mean we won't do it in future).

Premium problems >> use Premium reporting option in game.
Question about game >> use "Words of advice" forum.
Other >> pm Szeszej

Please do not PM me directly. Thanks.

04-12-2016 08:21 Konrad is offline Homepage of Konrad Search for Posts by Konrad Add Konrad to your Buddy List
UniversalRecipient

Thread Starter Thread Started by UniversalRecipient
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Konrad
Last quest selection is actually stored in user's cookies in his browser. So either you're clearing cookies daily (or some of your plugin does)

Yup. I ran CCleaner yesterday and today before playing BW. In its default settings, CCleaner deletes all Chrome cookies. I've changed the options in CCleaner to keep BW's cookie.

quote:
Right now we don't plan on storing this data directly on server (which doesn't mean we won't do it in future).

[Scratching my head and trying to fathom the logic] Why would you store some user data that directly affects gameplay on your server and store some user data that directly affects gameplay in a cookie on the user's machine???

I've played *a lot* of browser games over the years, and I have NEVER needed to change settings in another program (i.e. CCleaner) for smooth functionality until now.
04-12-2016 08:56 UniversalRecipient is offline Search for Posts by UniversalRecipient Add UniversalRecipient to your Buddy List
UniversalRecipient

For the past two days, I have **NOT** run CCleaner, and "Begin a Quest" is still getting reset to "Vicinity of the City" with each new day.

From my perspective, the system stores some user data on the server and stores some user data in a cookie on the user's machine...as a misguided effort to save disk space on the server. Specifically, I'm guessing data that must remain secure (e.g. stats, blood count, money count, etc.) stays on the server while "unimportant" data (e.g. "Begin a Quest" selection) goes in the cookie.

Therefore, let's do the math...

17950 users on Necropolis
+
17980 users on Underworld
--------------------
x
2 bits to store the "Begin a Quest" selection
--------------------
71860 bits or 8982.5 bytes

Aggravating me every morning by resetting the "Begin a Quest" selection to "Vicinity of the City" saves a whopping 9k of disk space. Grrrrr.
04-15-2016 08:04 UniversalRecipient is offline Search for Posts by UniversalRecipient Add UniversalRecipient to your Buddy List
Konrad
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-917.html

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

Check your browser settings - you may have enabled cleaning cookies when you close your browser.

It's not about disc space but additional queries each time quest screen is selected or quest is made. It was done long ago when it mattered, but until today no one complained about it.
I'll look into storing last quest info on our server instead of cookies, but I can't tell when it's possible to make a patch for it.

Premium problems >> use Premium reporting option in game.
Question about game >> use "Words of advice" forum.
Other >> pm Szeszej

Please do not PM me directly. Thanks.

04-18-2016 08:10 Konrad is offline Homepage of Konrad Search for Posts by Konrad Add Konrad to your Buddy List
UniversalRecipient

quote:
I'll look into storing last quest info on our server instead of cookies, but I can't tell when it's possible to make a patch for it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Because...

I found another flaw with the current implementation this morning. My wife and I share a computer at home. She was logged in to her account. I quickly went to Blood Wars, and as usual, ran a quest with the assumption that I was still on "Far". Nope--I got a "Vicinity of the City" quest.

Essentially, when any browser game stores user data in a cookie on the user's computer, it no longer qualifies as a browser game. A player is locked in to playing on one operating system account on one computer. Can't even go to work and play the game (who would do such a thing?#@! :-) because user data is still sitting at home in a cookie.
04-24-2016 09:17 UniversalRecipient is offline Search for Posts by UniversalRecipient Add UniversalRecipient to your Buddy List
Darkthunder

Registration Date: 07-16-2009

It's just a website setting/preference.No crucial data is stored on our computers otherwise we would always start from lvl 1 with no resource(if we deleted cookies).You can play the game from any browser on any O.S.,anywhere.And Konrad,you don't need to make a patch just because someone is too lazy to click on "Far Quests"(no offense UniversalRecipient).

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Darkthunder: 05-02-2016 12:11.

05-02-2016 11:57 Darkthunder is offline Search for Posts by Darkthunder Add Darkthunder to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Game system » "Begin a Quest" aggravation

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH