Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Mishmash » Polish? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Polish? 4 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
NateDogg
unregistered
Polish? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Whats with all the POLISH only text , thought this was an english server???

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by NateDogg: 02-24-2009 13:25.

02-24-2009 13:24
diablo
The contract has expired - former moderator.

images/avatars/avatar-735.jpeg

Registration Date: 07-05-2007
Race in game: Cultist
Clan: BoS

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have to agree. I have nothing against Polish people, but at least the clanpage should be in english. At least have both.

02-24-2009 13:39 diablo is offline Homepage of diablo Search for Posts by diablo Add diablo to your Buddy List
Artoir.
Avenger

images/avatars/avatar-599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-24-2008
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: V13

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

On the Polish players thread, any further posts in Polish (other than place names obviously) will be rewarded with a warning. This goes for the rest of the board too.

Where else have you seen Polish being posted? With regards to IG, send a PM to the player involved and ask them to change it first of all.

02-24-2009 13:58 Artoir. is offline Homepage of Artoir. Search for Posts by Artoir. Add Artoir. to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Artoir.
diablo

I don't mind if they write in Polish, as I can understand most of it, but in my opinion at least the visible clanpage should be in english. My opinion only concerns ingame clans.

02-24-2009 14:19 diablo is offline Homepage of diablo Search for Posts by diablo Add diablo to your Buddy List
Artoir.
Avenger

images/avatars/avatar-599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-24-2008
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: V13

quote:
Originally posted by Konrad
The official language of a server is the language the game is translated to. Sending messages in other languages is prohibited and will be treated as breaking the regulations.

I'm not sure if this applies to clan pages and descriptions but I'll find out for you.

I still suggest you pm the clan leader/deputy and ask them to change it.

02-24-2009 14:23 Artoir. is offline Homepage of Artoir. Search for Posts by Artoir. Add Artoir. to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Artoir.
NateDogg
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by diablo
I don't mind if they write in Polish, as I can understand most of it, but in my opinion at least the visible clanpage should be in english. My opinion only concerns ingame clans.

totally what i meant, nothing against People writing in polish etc but i do think the visible information such as Clan Pages an Personal Profile information should be in the language of the server, otherwise whats the point in have different servers for different countries, may as well make one big multi-national game.
02-24-2009 15:28
Szeszej
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-1121.jpg

Registration Date: 02-21-2007
Clan: Overlords

We've discussed it before and decided that this rule only applies to PMs. Applying it clan/player descriptions would lead to such ridiculous situations as bans for people with for example some cool latin quotation etc

02-24-2009 16:55 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

Registration Date: 02-03-2008

But having a clan page in polish is the same as recieving a pm in polish(in princable)

The english users wont know what it means, as far as they know i could say anything

Mabye the clan pages could be in english, or in both languages Wink
02-24-2009 21:31 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
diablo

Szeszej, you made a point there. We complain about Polish language but it could as well be Chinesse or something similar. And don't forget we have 2 french clans in Underworld Wink

02-25-2009 08:52 diablo is offline Homepage of diablo Search for Posts by diablo Add diablo to your Buddy List
NateDogg
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Szeszej
..would lead to such ridiculous situations as bans for people with for example some cool latin quotation etc

in that case i'd say people shouldn't use "cool" latin quotations. or at least if you are then TRANSLATE it.

quote:
Originally posted by diablo
Szeszej, you made a point there. We complain about Polish language but it could as well be Chinesse or something similar. And don't forget we have 2 french clans in Underworld Wink

Yeah i wasn't picking on the polish if thats what it seemed like, its just that's the language i see more of than ENGLISH at the moment, and its an ENGLISH server.

Crazy rules im afraid, you have polish and french and russian server for those people to play so i would say stick to your own server unless you speak english, but i can see it from your point of view, that being MONEY, $$$$, BLING BLING and CASHOLA

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by NateDogg: 02-25-2009 13:39.

02-25-2009 13:35
Szeszej
Administrator

I think it's easier to say from the point of view of an English person as English has become practically a lingua franca around the world but think of the poor French or Russian (and even Polish) people who wouldn't be allowed to insert quotes/texts in English into their clan/personal descriptions.

02-25-2009 14:40 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
Mortis
Emperor

images/avatars/avatar-47.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007
Race in game: Absorber
Clan: BoS exLead

Then I would say if you don't know the language enough stay on the server where you understand everything.

"Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind."
02-25-2009 17:46 Mortis is offline Search for Posts by Mortis Add Mortis to your Buddy List Add Mortis to your Contact List
tomek1919

Registration Date: 02-28-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Mortis
Then I would say if you don't know the language enough stay on the server where you understand everything.

Seconded. It's just a matter of time when problems with language barrier will start appearing. There will be ridiculous situations, for example with tradings. And btw, I believe that Polish education system is quite good when it comes to english language, so I think about 50% playing here can speak english fluently, 40% should be able to communicate (but i guess they will make a lot of grammar and word mistakes) and 10% aren't able to speak english at all. I don't know how it is with French and Russian people.

My opinion - if you can't speak english well enough, don't bother coming to this server.

I just hope, that people will be trading ONLY on this forum.

02-25-2009 18:56 tomek1919 is offline Search for Posts by tomek1919 Add tomek1919 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for tomek1919
Robin887
Forum Ace

images/avatars/avatar-947.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-18-2009
Race in game: Cursed One
Clan: ShameleSS

True. Ppl loggin' to UK server so they should know that they must be able to speak english.
U dont know english? Play on server with ur language. Simple.

So i think everybody should write in english. Especially in main clan sites. Its english server right?

quote:
Seconded. It's just a matter of time when problems with language barrier will start appearing. There will be ridiculous situations, for example with tradings

100% agree Wink

I will buy:
http://forum.bloodwars.net/thread.php?threadid=20790

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Robin887: 02-25-2009 19:32.

02-25-2009 19:32 Robin887 is offline Search for Posts by Robin887 Add Robin887 to your Buddy List
Scillage
Forum Legend

images/avatars/avatar-63.gif

Registration Date: 05-31-2007
Clan: N/A

I am currently in a clan where I am the only English person there. They have been very good in the language sense, as the leader did a clan message asking for everyone to put what they want in English + Polish, just so that I can understand it. I think that it should be fine for people to write Polish to Polish people, but be respectful to the English players as this is an English realm and we should have language priority. I also believe that if a clan has their clan description only in Polish, then they should be made to translate it or not put anything polish at all.

02-25-2009 19:41 Scillage is offline Homepage of Scillage Search for Posts by Scillage Add Scillage to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Scillage
Szeszej
Administrator

I'm sorry for the ambiguity of my post. What I meant is that they wouldn't be allowed to insert for example English text on THEIR OWN REALMS (non-English).

02-25-2009 22:49 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
CESARZ
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-1015.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007
Clan: DB

All you are like Bismark. If they want writing only in polish why they can't? If you come to Poland you don't must speaking polish so why they must speaking English.

02-26-2009 00:06 CESARZ is offline Search for Posts by CESARZ Add CESARZ to your Buddy List
Paranoia
tHeY'Re WatChInG mE!

images/avatars/avatar-147.gif

Registration Date: 12-01-2007
Clan: HERP-DERP

quote:
All you are like Bismark. If they want writing only in polish why they can't? If you come to Poland you don't must speaking polish so why they must speaking English.

i personally play the polish server..... i dont speak a word of polish but some of the people there try to help me learn but they speak my language.... and thats on a polish server...

why do we have to be so biased and moan about the language... if it bothers you so much use google....

PS imma start a welsh one just to annoy all of you Wink

quote:
Originally posted by FlashAOD
Give up. Paranoia clearly destroyed your argument.

get used to it, I'm good at it

Smile

02-26-2009 00:09 Paranoia is offline Search for Posts by Paranoia Add Paranoia to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

quote:
Originally posted by UG3
quote:

i personally play the polish server..... i dont speak a word of polish but some of the people there try to help me learn but they speak my language.... and thats on a polish server...

why do we have to be so biased and moan about the language... if it bothers you so much use google....

PS imma start a welsh one just to annoy all of you Wink

I think the point people are makin is that it is an english server and english should be used. Im all for a little polish but clan pages just in polish can be confusing to the english speaking players. And google isnt very good at translating Tongue
02-26-2009 01:26 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
diablo

I don't care what language you use if I understand it. It gets annoying every now and then if I don't understand what is written.

02-26-2009 07:47 diablo is offline Homepage of diablo Search for Posts by diablo Add diablo to your Buddy List
Viceroy_02

Registration Date: 03-12-2009

In my opinion, it's important to write in this language, which is the main of the server Smile
Anyhow, I still don't understand, why so many players are polish.

So if they want to play on this serv, they should have their profiles or/and clanpages in english language
Why? For the rule Wink
03-14-2009 20:09 Viceroy_02 is offline Search for Posts by Viceroy_02 Add Viceroy_02 to your Buddy List
Impetus
Forum Ace

Registration Date: 11-04-2008
Clan: The Source

quote:
Originally posted by Viceroy_02
In my opinion, it's important to write in this language, which is the main of the server Smile
Anyhow, I still don't understand, why so many players are polish.

So if they want to play on this serv, they should have their profiles or/and clanpages in english language
Why? For the rule Wink

so many players are polish due to the fact that the creators and developers of the game is originally polish.

Riiiight..... Roll Eyes I know what I'm doing...

Underworld: Impetus
Necro: Cigam
03-14-2009 20:11 Impetus is offline Search for Posts by Impetus Add Impetus to your Buddy List
Kalessin

images/avatars/avatar-378.jpg

Registration Date: 04-29-2008
Clan: Source

I've accounts on French and Polish servers. I don't speak either. The clans I am in are very friendly and accommodating, they often try to add English translations to the end of their clan messages so us few Brits can understand without having to wrestle with Google Translator. As a result I'm really enjoying these games - fair enough it helps to have a grasp of the language you're playing in, but it isn't necessary and makes the servers more accessible. There are distinct styles or atmospheres on the different servers, not speaking the language shouldn't mean you aren't allowed to make a clan. Maybe they like it here Smile

Personal profiles are really up to the individual. However I'm sure anyone could ask a bilingual friend to do a small translation for their clan page, just for the masses... but I'm not sure this should be a rule. Tribalism is very important to human beings, we like to identify ourselves as distinct groups, its pretty harmless - if you really wanna know what it means, message the clan Wink

03-14-2009 22:08 Kalessin is offline Homepage of Kalessin Search for Posts by Kalessin Add Kalessin to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Kalessin
Sarahahaha

Registration Date: 08-29-2008
Clan: [Sanguine]

I saw a brilliant way of polish/french clans/people to get around this.

For example, I saw a clan page earlier on today ( I now cant find it! maybe it was on UW...) where the first line was in English saying "This clan is a *whatever language it is" clan" and something about people needing to be fluent or something to join. After that is was in the other language.

I feel that its ok for people to write their clan pages in another langauge, but to let people know at the top that it IS in another language other than English. This means everyone knows where they stand.
03-15-2009 09:32 Sarahahaha is offline Search for Posts by Sarahahaha Add Sarahahaha to your Buddy List
grind
Double Ace

Registration Date: 01-22-2009
Clan: HLL

RE: Polish? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think every language is ok, let's say english is main one, for others give also translation. And it's a good way to practice language. Otherwise start an international server Wink
The most important is that there are many people playing. more fun, more fights, more items, more competition! There aren't so many players here, and I feel that discrimination because of language are stupid.
03-17-2009 03:49 grind is offline Homepage of grind Search for Posts by grind Add grind to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

Think of it from the point of view of the english player. I have personally seen at least a dozen or so clan messages all in polish with no translation. For the english player this is confusing and fustrating as they have no idea what it says. The arguement most people seem to be making is if you want to play on an english server, doesnt it make sence to type in english?
03-17-2009 12:33 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Mishmash » Polish?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH