Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Game system » Caln Handicapping » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Caln Handicapping 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gendibal
Viking

Registration Date: 03-17-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

now thats a point that I would disagree with ...... having hugely overpowered clans takes a lot of the competition out of it, but having a more balanced clan system would put competition into the game.

At the moment, no-one below the top 3 - 5 clans can siege those clans and have any sort of illusion of victory, however if they were on a power par with other clans, then there would be an upsurge in sieges, attacks etc, which would add more competition to the game rather than detracting.

11-27-2007 19:58 Gendibal is offline Search for Posts by Gendibal Add Gendibal to your Buddy List
draculaisemo
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-113.jpg

Registration Date: 10-02-2007
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: BoD

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

yes but what happens when a clan is at war with another, and they suddenly become equal when they hate to be so

sometimes domination is better, to a certain extent.

11-27-2007 20:35 draculaisemo is offline Homepage of draculaisemo Search for Posts by draculaisemo Add draculaisemo to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for draculaisemo
Gendibal
Viking

sometimes maybe, but to what extent?

one clan being able to dominate 1? 5? 10? everyone else in the game?

There has to be some form of control or the smaller players in BW are going to realise that they don't stand a chance, get annoyed/bored, and quit ..... is that really a way forward, or is it a step closer to the end?

11-27-2007 21:12 Gendibal is offline Search for Posts by Gendibal Add Gendibal to your Buddy List
DarkOne
Lord

Registration Date: 11-12-2007
Race in game: Absorber
Clan: BoS

Ok, what wondered me when i started playing bw was that stronger players could join into sieges against weaker ones and the other way round.

This is a bit weird to me, i cannot attack them, but if a clanmember can siege them i can loot them.

Appearently this has it's pros aswell, you can help an ally getting a better square or ressources.
Anyway i think gandibal has a good point there, equal clans would make the game more competetive, the problem is how you make "equal" clans ? You need at lest equal clan members for expeditions, which of course boost the ones who can manage them.
Any suggestions there ? Making clans equal and giving everyone the opportunity to complete the game ( no restriction to zones )?

ID necro: 1093

created by Dontmess
11-27-2007 21:38 DarkOne is offline Search for Posts by DarkOne Add DarkOne to your Buddy List
draculaisemo
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-113.jpg

Registration Date: 10-02-2007
Clan: BoD

I still think that making everyone equal removes the point of levelling and progress at all.

11-27-2007 21:53 draculaisemo is offline Homepage of draculaisemo Search for Posts by draculaisemo Add draculaisemo to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for draculaisemo
DarkOne
Lord

it is not about leveling and progress, it is more about the game makes more fun for everyone, as i said: giving player equal opportunities

created by Dontmess
11-27-2007 21:59 DarkOne is offline Search for Posts by DarkOne Add DarkOne to your Buddy List
Elisabeth
Lord

I will think of something serious tomorrow.
In my opinion true problem is in sieges but making them tactical is not good idea because this game should be simple.
Removing clan members limit should help. Instead there should be some kind of limit so it would be impossible to hold to many players from top in clan.
I will give example:
If we take points of leader x? as a limit of clan then either he would have few strong players or many average.
There would be problem with clan armoury but it can be easily fixed.
11-27-2007 23:21 Elisabeth is offline Search for Posts by Elisabeth Add Elisabeth to your Buddy List
Gendibal
Viking

Now theres the basics of an idea that would certainly go some way, if not a long way, to redressing the clan balance.

11-28-2007 00:23 Gendibal is offline Search for Posts by Gendibal Add Gendibal to your Buddy List
DarkOne
Lord

elisabeth any ideas so far for "something serious" ?

created by Dontmess
11-29-2007 10:17 DarkOne is offline Search for Posts by DarkOne Add DarkOne to your Buddy List
Elisabeth
Lord

I'm thinking of other limit in clan than member limit I can write everything that I thought now and plans to cover disadvantages of it.

The best idea is tactical siege it is hard to find other solution.
11-29-2007 10:46 Elisabeth is offline Search for Posts by Elisabeth Add Elisabeth to your Buddy List
Gendibal
Viking

quote:
Originally posted by Elisabeth
I will give example:
If we take points of leader x? as a limit of clan then either he would have few strong players or many average.
There would be problem with clan armoury but it can be easily fixed.

Easiest solution to that from my personal view would be to modify the clan armory limit so that it works off total clan points, so while players of under lvl 30 would not be able to use the armoury, their clan points would count towards its activation.

11-29-2007 11:25 Gendibal is offline Search for Posts by Gendibal Add Gendibal to your Buddy List
Elisabeth
Lord

From my point of view the best option in limit is level of leader or deputy x 10.
For example if leader have level 40 then he can take players up to limit 400. This will allow to collect few teams for expeditions.
You clan armoury solution is good one to work always even if we don't have enough players but only players with level 30 can use it.

The other problem is with players that gain level and exceed limit of clan.
Solution: leave them in clan but when they leave it they can't join back or saving them into database so they could come back even if they exceed level limit.

Allies wont be able to join into clan if they exceed level limit.
Solution: adding additional space in clan when defending (20%+) player that join in will be forced out of clan when defending siege ends.
Good system would be that even if you are in other clan you are able to join into other clan as a backup for siege period. If someone siege you clan that you join don't know about it but your main clan can defend you. After siege ends you come back into your clan.
Using allies in attack will work the same way (even for type 1 sieges).
11-29-2007 14:12 Elisabeth is offline Search for Posts by Elisabeth Add Elisabeth to your Buddy List
Blondie

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Clan: DB

Maybe in sieges the level of players should decide how many players can join.

for example.

The defender is level 40.

Then the attackers can only have about 5% more in level than the defender.

That means, the attackers can be 2 lvl 20 against 1 level 40.

But there is 1 negative thing...the defenders, no matter how many join, can wear def armoury and then theyll probably win :/

Something like that would maybe help. A level contorl in sieges

(OO''\ (||||) (||||) /''OO)
11-29-2007 15:20 Blondie is offline Search for Posts by Blondie Add Blondie to your Buddy List
MetalMouth
Double Ace

Registration Date: 12-29-2007
Clan: DD

Capping would be good, or if there was too much of a power gap then have an accept decline message for the clan leader of the defending/attacking clan

http://deeperdimensions.forumotion.co.uk/

Clan friends and people looking for a clan very welcome, it's a forum not only for Deeper Dimensions but the active community of BW.

02-28-2008 08:45 MetalMouth is offline Homepage of MetalMouth Search for Posts by MetalMouth Add MetalMouth to your Buddy List
Gendibal
Viking

Note to mods

I suggested this thread as a viable place for discussion of siege balance as it deals with the limited capping of clans (as was being discussed in the Battlefield thread) and creating a new thread for it would have been wasteful, so any warning for Necroposting is my responsibility ..... in other words if you must warn anyone for it, the buck stops with me.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Gendibal: 02-28-2008 09:55.

02-28-2008 09:53 Gendibal is offline Search for Posts by Gendibal Add Gendibal to your Buddy List
Mlarinon
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-157.jpg

Registration Date: 01-27-2008
Clan: TDK

It seems that the problem started quite soon (3 months or so) after the start of the server.

The problem is not ressource siege where I don't mind getting robbed by the allmighties but more the take over type.

What brought the subject back was my post in the battlefield about a lvl 25 who siege a lvl 33 for a nice quarter in zone 4 and got because he is a member of Dark BrotherHood [.DB.] and so the attacking party was a clan with 3600 points or so and the defending 290 points or so. (we had less than 10% of their points, it is like the top 5 players attacking the 30 pointers)

Really putting something like a 30 % max difference for total point would really be great for this kind of siege, it would really encourage further members of small clans to build in zone 4.

Because if one hard point of starting a quarter from 0 is ressources and time to build, the bigger point now thanks to junk is what's the point of building, as soon as it will be nice the top clans will conwuer it for one of their low level.

PS : a nice thing would be to know if the developpers are thinking about this problem and ready to do some changement or if it is their policy for it to remain like this. With their position on this matter we would then see if it is worth trying to to find a solution or if we can go back to dumb getting our head smashed.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mlarinon: 02-28-2008 10:11.

02-28-2008 10:09 Mlarinon is offline Homepage of Mlarinon Search for Posts by Mlarinon Add Mlarinon to your Buddy List
nelacar
Double Ace

Registration Date: 11-07-2007
Clan: -END-

clan limiter Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i agree with everthing been said here.There has to be a limit on clan size.u cant ambush someone whos lvl is 70% of urs i think if not correct me.why cant same system be implemented for clan seiges.I think gendibal has said this but if u dont start addressing the issue many of the few active players will leave.Take a look in off topic/mishmash its one of them.Theres a thread titled" anyone else feel like quitting".The devs should listen because now more players are speaking out about the problems in this game and as a group are considering leaving.
02-28-2008 12:02 nelacar is offline Search for Posts by nelacar Add nelacar to your Buddy List
Lysandra
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-344.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2008

Just a suggestion... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The major issue is the clans with over 1000 points sieging a lower level clan for territory.
This alone has caused many people to leave and upset the overall balance of this game. The handicap could be as simple as this: if 37 pointer A from clan A with, say 1000 overall points sieges 37 pointer B from clan B with say 400 points, anyone from clan A can join UNTIL 400 points are reached(the max points of defending clan), unless they are a person who alone has 1/4 of the overall points allowed, in this case 100 points.
That would stop most power sieges...but I am thinking out on a limb here and some faults would come into play. This is just an example of SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE DONE.
Fairness in this game with sieges is a major issue. There are two ways to stop this: 1) the devs actually listen to us and implement some kind of capping system. *cough*right*cough* 2) We can try to implement something ourselves, basically talking to the leaders of all the high level clans and telling them to make any siege against a low level clan as fair as possible, or better yet, tell their lower point members to suck it up and build up there own square like most of us have been forced to do multiple times.
I understand that this is a game about war, but war becomes slaughter when a 1000+ point clan sieges a clan with far less. And if too much slaughter occurs, people are just going to give up and leave. That would be very bad for the dev team because they would lose a lot of money from the premium accounts you have to pay for.

quote:
Originally posted by *GayTiger*
lys... that was amazing, it's pure orgasm on a page!

03-13-2008 21:34 Lysandra is offline Homepage of Lysandra Search for Posts by Lysandra Add Lysandra to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Lysandra
Szeszej
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-1121.jpg

Registration Date: 02-21-2007
Clan: Overlords

I'm sorry but I must once again state that this will never change as it is how the game is supposed to be and how it was meant from the very beginning.

03-13-2008 22:21 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
theheraldofogc
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-176.gif

Registration Date: 02-27-2008

I've had a long term renovation plan in mishmash. Scroll down here and see what you think.

anyone else feel like quiting

PL Moria III: The Herald - Hunter
03-14-2008 01:31 theheraldofogc is offline Search for Posts by theheraldofogc Add theheraldofogc to your Buddy List
Gendibal
Viking

quote:
Originally posted by theheraldofogc
I've had a long term renovation plan in mishmash. Scroll down here and see what you think.

anyone else feel like quiting

Unfortunately the development and admin teams aren't interested in renovating or repairing the system, no matter what concerns, plans and suggestions are put forward ..... as has been said many times before they don't listen most of the time, and most of that insignificant amount of time that they do listen, they can't - or refuse to - understand or acknowledge the points, problems and solutions that are being raised.

03-14-2008 11:18 Gendibal is offline Search for Posts by Gendibal Add Gendibal to your Buddy List
theheraldofogc
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-176.gif

Registration Date: 02-27-2008

We can do it ourselves though is my point, it'll just be uncomfortable in the short term short term.

As many problems there are being contested here there is still a lot of scope to this game.

PL Moria III: The Herald - Hunter
03-14-2008 15:29 theheraldofogc is offline Search for Posts by theheraldofogc Add theheraldofogc to your Buddy List
Gendibal
Viking

About 6 months ago I was saying exactly the same sort of thing, but over time you'll see how much the scope of the game narrows with each new patch that is applied.

The way the game has gone over the last 6 months ..... give it 6 months more and new players will not be able to function, another 12 to 18 months, and the game will be so restrictive as to be almost 100% linear.

03-14-2008 16:14 Gendibal is offline Search for Posts by Gendibal Add Gendibal to your Buddy List
Serafine
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-247.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2008
Clan: [-END-]

I haven't been playing too long, but a few things come to mind.

1 is, and this is VERY CLEAR, no matter what mods say, that the game is being developed with one platform in mind and that the devs are not taking into consideration the differences in play style, the fact that experienced players from Poland are active on this server with knowledge of the game that exceeds the lvl of experience (I mean experience using the game, not ingame experience) that the target market of this server has. (IE Polish use this server knowing the game inside out and the British market don't have the same lvl of experience as them)

I mean, look at this very small example; A car company in England develops cars under the brand Vauxhall.... they sell these cars in Ireland under the name Opel.... Why? Because the target market is different and things need to be different.

This server is run differently. Clans on this server are run differently. You can simply look at any other game and immediately will see the differences with the way Clans, Guild, Alliances are run based on ppls nationalities.

An easy solution to some of the problems with Sieges etc, would be to implement something akin to what they did in (Censored by Scillage)(ok a completely different format of game but the idea is sound), when a player hops from clan to clan, restrict his exp gain, PoH gain etc so that he won't abuse hopping from clan to clan. (In Guild Wars it was a way of Faction Farming, limiting players to having to stay in a Guild for 14 days before getting full Faction was very effective, it saw the loss of a lot of Farming Guilds and opened up the leader board for dedicated gamers.)

This in turn will mean that the clan needs to rely on their own active players, encouraging activity and keeping ppl interested.

Not closing off the top of the leader board will encourage ppl to stay, giving them a chance to excel in the game.

As a lvl 5 or 6 (maybe lower) I was sieged by a clan after I attacked a player of theirs who attacked me (playing the game as it was meant to be played rather than just raping inactives) and in return they ALL sieged me, to take a square that was useless to them. I mean I got a much better square in the deal (yes I was happy), but the fact that I was being gangbanged by these guys just because I threatened 1 player who couldn't hack losing 1 match made me seriously think about quitting. (2 vassals of mine already have quit for similiar reasons, at very low lvls)

Why create a game that ppl are going to leave?

You have to acknowledge that things are different on every server and in every community. I have a lot of Polish friends in my town that I regularly meet in a gaming centre and omg are our playing styles different. I won't even list some of the games we play. But you can bet we differ in 99% of them.

Sorry for waffling, but that idea about restricting clan hopping (or, going back to some other points made, introducing the ability to include/exclude certain members of a clan from joining sieges) would make so much of a difference that you wouldn't believe.

(one more point, devs say the French invite more friends, well server there is younger, but give it time they won't invite as many and they will became as inactive purely because you won't listen to them..... maybe if you listened to the British market and introduced some ideas of theirs they would invite more??? just an idea... oh and, yes you do have lives outside work, we all do.... but we all get PAID to work.......... and aren't paying ppl called customers?) apologies if the sarcasm doesn't tranlsate. Big Grin

Selling:

See Necro Profile - mostly rubbish tbh.

Buying:

See IGProfile.
03-25-2008 12:51 Serafine is offline Search for Posts by Serafine Add Serafine to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Serafine
Gendibal
Viking

Unfortunately, Serafine, this is all old ground that has been brought up on numerous occasions, and despite player support for the ideas, they are repeatedly rejected and in some cases laughed at by the developers (Sushi in particular).

They are not interested in developing and balancing a system that isn't Moria, all they seem interested in from the players here is the premium money, because they certainly aren't interested in players opinions ..... at least not to the point where they'll do something constructive outside Moria.

*EDIT 1* Disagree all you like guys, but out of the voting on the balance for the game (not taking into account the 'same as always' middle ground) over 50% of voting players say that the balance is WAY out and not getting any better (52% worse/leaving vs 26% better/perfect) ......... you'd better start doing something about it, because I reckon theres a lot of people on here getting really annoyed about being given the faecial end of the stick.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Gendibal: 03-25-2008 14:39.

03-25-2008 14:29 Gendibal is offline Search for Posts by Gendibal Add Gendibal to your Buddy List
Szeszej
Administrator

But there is no game that made a different system for different nationalities.

Also if you're gangbanged find yourself a clan, this game is heavily based on being a member of one.

Unfortunately the idea you posted can't be included for a technical reason. Such actions are highly resources consuming and may create a huge lags.

03-25-2008 14:38 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
Gendibal
Viking

I'd give you the name of a game that did exactly what we've been suggesting ....... not based on nationality as all servers were English language, but done on a server by server basis, but that would break your precious forum rules ..... it would be seen as advertising another game.

So you have it both ways there, you make a statement knowing that it can't be disproved without the need to edit out the name of the proof itself.

03-25-2008 14:42 Gendibal is offline Search for Posts by Gendibal Add Gendibal to your Buddy List
Serafine
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-247.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2008
Clan: [-END-]

I don't see how it has to cause lag, I mean until you test it you don't know that it will cause lag.

The main reason for things not being developed, and this is evident in the few responses of the dev's, is that it will take up their time. So what, they play this game themselves and develop it on the side?

Another game I play, that I will kindly refrain from naming, is web based, built in Java and stores encrypted (uncrackable and pointles even if they were cracked) files on the users computer. Why not use a similiar sysem, those files could be holding information about what clan they are in and when they joined etc.... Or watever way you do it, I don't see how you can just say
quote:
Unfortunately the idea you posted can't be included for a technical reason. Such actions are highly resources consuming and may create a huge lags.

Isn't that the idea behind Testing? And for a change test it on this server, not the Polish one. I mean, you guys are paying money for this server, make the most of it. Make it a success. Make money from it.... It's all about Marketing..... Best marketers for a game are the Happy (and importantly paying) players.

(I currently do not pay for premium, as I feel my money would be wasted. That may change in the future though. Please don't think me a hyprocrit because I don't pay) (oh and don't think I'm hung up on the PolishVBritish thing, cos I'm Irish)

EDIT: oh and I did find myself a clan. Well rather they approached me... I had applied to another clan that just saw me as a newb that wouldn't be bothered about. But thank fully [1st] were interested in recruiting new players. And they are the ONLY reason I still play this game.

Selling:

See Necro Profile - mostly rubbish tbh.

Buying:

See IGProfile.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Serafine: 03-25-2008 15:52.

03-25-2008 15:50 Serafine is offline Search for Posts by Serafine Add Serafine to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Serafine
Szeszej
Administrator

You don't have to implement it to know how much stress on the server it would cause. That's what we have computer experts for. Wink

Such actions like the one proposed (time actions) cause the most lag unfrtunately.

03-25-2008 22:47 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
Gendibal
Viking

Incredible ...... one post answered, yet the other ones, especially the one that offers proof that other games DO implement things successfully on a per server basis (Games which, I hasten to add, have survived for years with a regular following of many times the total BW population) are completely bypassed and ignored as usual, despite the all too common assurances that this is not the case.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Gendibal: 03-25-2008 22:58.

03-25-2008 22:52 Gendibal is offline Search for Posts by Gendibal Add Gendibal to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Game system » Caln Handicapping

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH