Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Game system » upgrade statistic » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Go to the bottom of this page upgrade statistic
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DarkOne
Lord

Registration Date: 11-12-2007
Race in game: Absorber
Clan: BoS

upgrade statistic Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i have the feeling that the update routine is not really 80% i just used about 13 BS to upgrade a sniper rifle and it failed 8 times ... that would be more like a 20% chance of successful upgrade than 80%

ID necro: 1093

created by Dontmess
02-01-2008 18:31 DarkOne is offline Search for Posts by DarkOne Add DarkOne to your Buddy List
Azz420
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-676.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2007
Clan: .DB.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i get that feeling on far quests as well sometimes Frown
and dont get me started on +5 upgrades to GOOD :/

02-01-2008 19:58 Azz420 is offline Search for Posts by Azz420 Add Azz420 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Azz420
Evil-Eoin
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-79.jpg

Registration Date: 08-28-2007
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: The Source

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

lol We all have our stories I'd say. TWICE it's taken me 13 bloodstones to get an item from Normal +3 to Normal +4 ... I know it's all probability and you're not guaranteed four successes from every five attempts on 80%, but it certainly feels more like 60-70% for me when I'm upgrading with bloodstones.

02-01-2008 20:26 Evil-Eoin is offline Search for Posts by Evil-Eoin Add Evil-Eoin to your Buddy List
Scillage
Forum Legend

images/avatars/avatar-63.gif

Registration Date: 05-31-2007
Clan: N/A

I spent 243 BS upgrading something from +2 to +3 in the end (I was trying to get it to Good +3 but i gave up), thats prob the record Frown

02-01-2008 21:17 Scillage is offline Homepage of Scillage Search for Posts by Scillage Add Scillage to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Scillage
DarkOne
Lord

Thread Starter Thread Started by DarkOne

243 BS including merges or 243 pure bs ?

created by Dontmess
02-01-2008 21:19 DarkOne is offline Search for Posts by DarkOne Add DarkOne to your Buddy List
Scillage
Forum Legend

Pure 243...

02-01-2008 21:22 Scillage is offline Homepage of Scillage Search for Posts by Scillage Add Scillage to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Scillage
DarkOne
Lord

ouch

created by Dontmess
02-01-2008 21:27 DarkOne is offline Search for Posts by DarkOne Add DarkOne to your Buddy List
Scillage
Forum Legend

Tell me about it.....

02-01-2008 21:30 Scillage is offline Homepage of Scillage Search for Posts by Scillage Add Scillage to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Scillage
Evil-Eoin
Triple Ace

243 BS?? That's just not possible on 80%!!! I feel kinda silly with my 13 BS now lol

Still, I bet upgrading your Cap of Precognition to Good +5 without a fail made up for it! Wink

02-01-2008 21:38 Evil-Eoin is offline Search for Posts by Evil-Eoin Add Evil-Eoin to your Buddy List
Scillage
Forum Legend

Yeah but even so......

02-02-2008 08:33 Scillage is offline Homepage of Scillage Search for Posts by Scillage Add Scillage to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Scillage
Arkady

Registration Date: 05-04-2007

I'm not sure you guys understand statistics.

If you want to get an item from 0 to +5, each with a chance of 80%, then the actual chance of doing it all in one go is: .8 * .8 * .8 * .8 * .8 = .32768 or 32.7%

Even if you guys are having a bad run, it just balances all the times you've had a good run.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Arkady: 02-05-2008 06:41.

02-05-2008 06:41 Arkady is offline Search for Posts by Arkady Add Arkady to your Buddy List
Evil-Eoin
Triple Ace

Except we're not talking about getting it all the way...we're talking about bad luck in upgrading it by one level Wink

02-05-2008 09:27 Evil-Eoin is offline Search for Posts by Evil-Eoin Add Evil-Eoin to your Buddy List
sleepezy

Registration Date: 10-22-2007

The only real way to compare the relative success of upgrading is with a larger sample size

In an event where there are two options you need a sample size of about 50 (if my memory serves me correct, it's been some time)

I too am unconvinced by some of the odds on this game, not just upgrading, although it is the easiest to monitor, and have been recording my upgrades for a short period

Over the past 35 upgrades i have been successful 65.7% of the time (this has included both lucky and unluck streaks)

i may be an unlucky vamp, or be about to have a run of success Smile but from that measurement the upgrading appears lower than it should
02-05-2008 12:13 sleepezy is offline Search for Posts by sleepezy Add sleepezy to your Buddy List
diablo
The contract has expired - former moderator.

images/avatars/avatar-735.jpeg

Registration Date: 07-05-2007
Race in game: Cultist

Talking about chances, have a look on this expedition where Death-Reborn had 25% chance of critical hit and 10 attack per round
http://r1.bloodwars.net/showmsg.php?mid=...&key=b620d15961

02-05-2008 13:54 diablo is offline Homepage of diablo Search for Posts by diablo Add diablo to your Buddy List
DarkOne
Lord

sure its 25% i mean he had speed armour on so - xx%

created by Dontmess
02-05-2008 17:21 DarkOne is offline Search for Posts by DarkOne Add DarkOne to your Buddy List
Scillage
Forum Legend

or maybe he had tatoo lvl 5 so he had +1 Attack......

02-05-2008 17:33 Scillage is offline Homepage of Scillage Search for Posts by Scillage Add Scillage to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Scillage
diablo
The contract has expired - former moderator.

images/avatars/avatar-735.jpeg

Registration Date: 07-05-2007

quote:
Originally posted by DarkOne
sure its 25% i mean he had speed armour on so - xx%
Nothing of Speed, he is a Gunman with Born with a gun in hand tattoo lvl4. All tattoos were working (otherwise he wouldn't get the extra attack) and still ZERO criticals.

02-05-2008 18:04 diablo is offline Homepage of diablo Search for Posts by diablo Add diablo to your Buddy List
Zeruel
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-70.jpg

Registration Date: 02-28-2007

It is 80%. Someone on polish board wrote a "well of souls simulator" that can make 10 000 tries in no time Wink

Statistically you need 8 BS to upgrade item from 0 to +5. So everything below 8 is good luck and above is bad luck.

Other interesting facts Smile

From 0 to good: 13 BS 2 LS

From good to good +5: 69 BS, 29 HS, 20 LS

From good to perfect: 228 BS, 95 HS, 68 LS

From perfect to perfect +1: 565 BS, 222 HS, 163 LS, 4 SS, 4 items (3 were destroyed)

I don't think that I have to comment this Wink

02-05-2008 19:10 Zeruel is offline Search for Posts by Zeruel Add Zeruel to your Buddy List
Scillage
Forum Legend

I do: Ouch Wink

02-05-2008 19:27 Scillage is offline Homepage of Scillage Search for Posts by Scillage Add Scillage to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Scillage
Bliitz

Registration Date: 02-05-2008

It tells you here...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Bliitz: 02-05-2008 21:54.

02-05-2008 21:54 Bliitz is offline Search for Posts by Bliitz Add Bliitz to your Buddy List
Cthulhu
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpeg

Registration Date: 11-29-2007
Clan: HL

80% my a***!!

I know others have had worse - but I just tried to upgrade something from +4 to +5; it took me 7 BS, & the item is now at +3.
That's 2 successful upgrades out of 7; that by my calculation is approx 28%.

If someone has a fantastic upgrade simulator as Zeruel suggests, I say let him do the simulation again & publish the results so we can all see, please. Cos I am hacked off with this bulls**t percentage chance. Mad

HBS

ENCHANTMENT
04-19-2008 10:03 Cthulhu is offline Homepage of Cthulhu Search for Posts by Cthulhu Add Cthulhu to your Buddy List
Roostie

Registration Date: 02-19-2008
Clan: CoS

To be honest I think the upgrade statistic is sound, you do have runs of good and bad and as usual no one talks about the good runs. However I think the pilgrimages are a different story. It took me a 100 quests to get the first 4 pilgramages, thats a 4% chance. Now given that my % for success for each quest was anywhere between 25% and 45% there has to be something wrong.

04-19-2008 17:01 Roostie is offline Search for Posts by Roostie Add Roostie to your Buddy List
Scillage
Forum Legend

That is because you have a 1/9 chance of getting on the right quest...

04-19-2008 17:05 Scillage is offline Homepage of Scillage Search for Posts by Scillage Add Scillage to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Scillage
nelacar
Double Ace

Registration Date: 11-07-2007
Clan: -END-

i think its all down to luck.i upgraded my light dagger of agility to good+5 with out a fail.so i taught was very lucky.it then cost me 7bs and a few ls trying to get my crule dagger to good and its still +5.
04-19-2008 18:23 nelacar is offline Search for Posts by nelacar Add nelacar to your Buddy List
kraftie
Double Ace

Registration Date: 11-18-2007

I do the first time I got it to good+3, then perhaps good luck and greed got in the way and ever since I can upgrade it I used nearly 2 SS on it and its still normal +3 how long can this bad luck go on for?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by kraftie: 04-20-2008 17:35.

04-20-2008 16:52 kraftie is offline Search for Posts by kraftie Add kraftie to your Buddy List
Szeszej
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-1121.jpg

Registration Date: 02-21-2007
Clan: Overlords

You should've kept it on good +3, the calculus of probability is very capriscious Wink

04-20-2008 23:28 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
Cthulhu
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpeg

Registration Date: 11-29-2007
Clan: HL

quote:
Originally posted by Szeszej
You should've kept it on good +3, the calculus of probability is very capriscious Wink

I know this is an old thread - & if I get a warning for necro-posting then I'll happily accept it, because I want to resurrect it for 2 reasons:

1) The 80% chance is no where near 80%. FACT. If it is, then I would like the Devs to please PROVE IT. Because even though you believe it is & happily state that it is; WE the PLAYERS have a big problem with this element of the game.

2) Sze, your reply to this relevant & justifiable complaint is not only un-informative, but slightly condescending. WE understand that the probability is "capricious" - THAT IS OUR COMPLAINT!!! Mad

If you say something has an 80%, it should have a constant 80% chance - i.e. every time you press the "Upgrade" button, you get 80%. As the system stands at the moment, I & many others in this game, do not believe this is the case, and we would like you to take another look at the algorithm.

I would like to also point out this current description on the tutorial:
quote:
May people wonder why, despite of high chance, several quests/attacks in a row fail. This may also happen in upgrading items, and other statistical chances.
It's a normal occurance which is characteristic of randomness: with only a few tries a significant STATISTIC ERROR occurs. It means that value given may considerably differ from statistical value.
Anyone who has enough patience to make several thousends of tries will become conviced that the more tries there are, the closer the chance is to statistical value.

My point of argument with this?
Obviously with a 1000 tries, the chance of success is likely to become an even 80%. OUR argument is - we do not have 1000's of bloodstones! Therefore, we are not getting an even 80%. So by your own words, we are expected to continously loose BS's because we are only ever trying "with only a few tries", & so we will NEVER meet the "statistical value".

So; you either increase the chance of success to something that is reasonable; or you create a better working algorithm. Personally I don't care which one of these you opt to do, but I do care that you actually take notice of a complaint when you see one & respond with an appropriate answer, and not just a flippant remark.

HBS

ENCHANTMENT
08-26-2008 14:37 Cthulhu is offline Homepage of Cthulhu Search for Posts by Cthulhu Add Cthulhu to your Buddy List
God_Like_Friend
Lord

Registration Date: 03-31-2008

I think it's not a perfect algorithm but it doesn't mean that you won't fail, if you fail 8 out of 13 times then you know it's most likely with an 80% chance success rate that the next upgrades will be a success but you aren't trying to upgrade further which is why you find this problem.

quote:
And btw Agresiel your signature needs an update, it's more than a year now Wink

Ingame: R1 NoOb-G R2 NoOb-GoD - ID 7
08-26-2008 15:39 God_Like_Friend is offline Search for Posts by God_Like_Friend Add God_Like_Friend to your Buddy List
necrol
Triple Ace

Registration Date: 06-16-2008

Theoretical chance: 90 %.
20 tests -> successful: 16 unsuccessful: 4, real chance: 80 %
200 tests -> successful: 183 unsuccessful: 17, real chance: 91.5 %
2000 tests -> successful: 1808 unsuccessful: 192, real chance: 90.4 %
20000 tests -> successful: 18044 unsuccessful: 1956, real chance: 90.22 %

taken from BWs randomising algorithm posted above somewhere i think either the person who did this just made up some figures or is so lucky nothing bad has ever happened to him/her ever and most probably never will

edit: ok just noticed this is for quests/ambushes as well lol

Level: 67
Clan: Bibo (FTW!)

Mods please close this thread it contains something interesting

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by necrol: 08-26-2008 17:04.

08-26-2008 17:03 necrol is offline Search for Posts by necrol Add necrol to your Buddy List
Serafine
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-247.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2008
Clan: [-END-]

quote:
Originally posted by Arkady
I'm not sure you guys understand statistics.

If you want to get an item from 0 to +5, each with a chance of 80%, then the actual chance of doing it all in one go is: .8 * .8 * .8 * .8 * .8 = .32768 or 32.7%

Even if you guys are having a bad run, it just balances all the times you've had a good run.

I understand statistics fine, was an Honors Math student. What about those of us who have nothing but bad runs.

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu
If you say something has an 80%, it should have a constant 80% chance - i.e. every time you press the "Upgrade" button, you get 80%. As the system stands at the moment, I & many others in this game, do not believe this is the case, and we would like you to take another look at the algorithm.

I agree. It shouldn't be 80% over time. Cos odds are you won't be upgrading the same item continously.

Because they say luck has a factor, and they won't explain exactly what that factor is, they shouldn't be saying something has a percentage chance. Because you cannot, what's the word, quantimize? luck.... You cannot measure it. If it's coding (which obv in the game it is) then it should be made available to us what factor it is then.

I personally have no Good Items. I consider myself lucky that most of my items are Normal +5.

Yes it gets easier as you go up the levels, because you can use Ritual of Blood and spend piles of stones. (piles that I don't, and won't ever, have)

I don't think you should get a warning for necro posting on this. I think something new has been brought to the thread.

Selling:

See Necro Profile - mostly rubbish tbh.

Buying:

See IGProfile.
08-26-2008 23:38 Serafine is offline Search for Posts by Serafine Add Serafine to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Serafine
Evangelion
The warning machine

images/avatars/avatar-71.jpg

Registration Date: 03-01-2007

Nothing new has been brought to the thread. The only thing you do is complain on your luck, which isn't related to the game system. The upgrading and questing algorithm works good, you are just unlucky. The worst thing is that you can't prove that the algorithms are working bad and the Dev Team can't prove their algirithm is working good. The only thing you can do is hope that your next upgrade will succeed.

necrol, your calculations indeed are for quests/ambushes but the point is that the more tests you do the closer you get to the theoretical chance.

You won't get a warning for necroposting from me, I'm in a good mood today...

I'm leaving this thread open to see what arguments you have...

All complaints on all the Moderators should be sent to me via

PM rules = who is who and what may be reported to whom

"Getting old is mandatory... being mature is optional"

08-27-2008 01:35 Evangelion is offline Homepage of Evangelion Search for Posts by Evangelion Add Evangelion to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Evangelion
God_Like_Friend
Lord

Registration Date: 03-31-2008

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu

Are you wanting to know in advance whether it is a fail or not so you can use a BS on some rubbish and then successfully complete what you're trying to raise? it's a game of chance upgrading and etc.

If there's an 80% chance it's just more likely that it will upgrade. But you would need to spend 100's of BS to test it because you can't know doing just a few..

quote:
And btw Agresiel your signature needs an update, it's more than a year now Wink

Ingame: R1 NoOb-G R2 NoOb-GoD - ID 7

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by God_Like_Friend: 08-27-2008 08:26.

08-27-2008 08:23 God_Like_Friend is offline Search for Posts by God_Like_Friend Add God_Like_Friend to your Buddy List
VonBudde

Registration Date: 04-11-2008

It just makes sad panda, if only one of your attributes has less than 90% to be succesfull and that attribute cames up 3 times out of 12 quests.

Or You try 36 hardest quests in order to get Your reputation-quest done and only once You get reputation-test.
08-27-2008 13:34 VonBudde is offline Search for Posts by VonBudde Add VonBudde to your Buddy List
Evangelion
The warning machine

images/avatars/avatar-71.jpg

Registration Date: 03-01-2007

I'm closing the thread. Nothing new has been added to the thread, you keep complaining on your bad luck. All 17934 players have the same problem which can't be solved by the Dev Team...

All complaints on all the Moderators should be sent to me via

PM rules = who is who and what may be reported to whom

"Getting old is mandatory... being mature is optional"

08-27-2008 18:08 Evangelion is offline Homepage of Evangelion Search for Posts by Evangelion Add Evangelion to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Evangelion
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Game system » upgrade statistic

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH