Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Mishmash » Night of long knives ? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Go to the bottom of this page Night of long knives ?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Endonium

Registration Date: 10-02-2010
Race in game: Absorber

Night of long knives ? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I got warned for making a reference to soviet history and because a moderator didn't understand my historical analogy (self interpretation for the win).

But it's ok for the game to make reference to Nazi historical events ? And don't tell me it's a coincidence. Might as well make an event called Crystal Night too, that would be fitting...

I don't think that's very sensitive...

12-09-2010 12:57 Endonium is offline Search for Posts by Endonium Add Endonium to your Buddy List
Unholy Emperor
I AM............dead.

images/avatars/avatar-569.gif

Registration Date: 05-12-2009
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: BoS

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

How is that related to history?

If it is, I think its purely coincidental.

12-14-2010 15:22 Unholy Emperor is offline Search for Posts by Unholy Emperor Add Unholy Emperor to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Unholy Emperor
Endonium

Thread Starter Thread Started by Endonium
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Unholy Emperor
How is that related to history?

Google - 1st result...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Long_Knives

12-14-2010 15:29 Endonium is offline Search for Posts by Endonium Add Endonium to your Buddy List
NouveauNosferatu
Lord

Registration Date: 04-28-2008
Clan: Source

And according to that result:

"The phrase "Night of the Long Knives" in the German language predates the massacre itself, and it also refers generally to acts of vengeance. "
12-14-2010 15:45 NouveauNosferatu is offline Homepage of NouveauNosferatu Search for Posts by NouveauNosferatu Add NouveauNosferatu to your Buddy List
DarkOne
Lord

Registration Date: 11-12-2007

I doubt the devs knew the historical background ... but rename the event please.

ID necro: 1093

created by Dontmess
12-14-2010 17:57 DarkOne is offline Search for Posts by DarkOne Add DarkOne to your Buddy List
OTNC
OrangeMöd

images/avatars/avatar-583.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2009
Race in game: Cultist
Clan: V-13/BoS

I thought everyone knew what the night of the long knives was?

12-14-2010 19:29 OTNC is offline Search for Posts by OTNC Add OTNC to your Buddy List
Endonium

quote:
Originally posted by OTNC
I thought everyone knew what the night of the long knives was?

Not everyone listens in school apparently Smile

12-14-2010 19:34 Endonium is offline Search for Posts by Endonium Add Endonium to your Buddy List
OTNC
OrangeMöd

images/avatars/avatar-583.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2009
Race in game: Cultist
Clan: V-13/BoS

Or more people are choosing photography, media studies & other 'real' subjects.

Anyone can watch a film or take a photo...

[Sorry, ignore my rants]

12-14-2010 19:56 OTNC is offline Search for Posts by OTNC Add OTNC to your Buddy List
Unholy Emperor
I AM............dead.

images/avatars/avatar-569.gif

Registration Date: 05-12-2009

I didnt take history in high school or college, nor do I care about history especially nothing to do with Nazi's. (aside from video games of course, because you get to kill them over an over again) What's done is done I say.

:Edit: But yeah, change the name. Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Unholy Emperor: 12-14-2010 21:21.

12-14-2010 21:20 Unholy Emperor is offline Search for Posts by Unholy Emperor Add Unholy Emperor to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Unholy Emperor
FlashAOD
Boob \o/

images/avatars/avatar-995.jpg

Registration Date: 01-06-2009

See I took History and cannot remember this event o.O

But hearing Nazis and Nouve saying massacre, with the topic name I can add 2 and 2.

But I'm sure I wasnt taught that in my History class
12-14-2010 21:21 FlashAOD is offline Search for Posts by FlashAOD Add FlashAOD to your Buddy List
LucifersAngel
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-718.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2009

To be honest, the irony of this event name and the fact this is a Polish game has always amused me (Nazi invasion of Poland etc). I don't particularly mind the event name, it's packed with irony. Unless, of course, the devs are making a point...

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada
For everyone everything, for us nothing

EZLN

12-15-2010 09:51 LucifersAngel is offline Homepage of LucifersAngel Search for Posts by LucifersAngel Add LucifersAngel to your Buddy List
Lysandra
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-344.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2008

I never paid attention in history (just didn't interest me), so I personally didn't know about the event behind the name.

Anyway, maybe the devs fully knew what the name meant and are using it as a irony thing (as LucifersAngel said).

I don't think they intended to offend any one in anyway. Besides, it if was really that offensive (as a whole), I'm sure the Polish Realm would have said something by now. I'm not saying it's not offensive, but if you do want it changed you may have to PM szj directly.

Right now this thread just looks like you're questioning the purpose of the event or the event itself, not the name. It doesn't look like a complaint, so the thread might not ever be seen.

quote:
Originally posted by *GayTiger*
lys... that was amazing, it's pure orgasm on a page!

12-15-2010 17:03 Lysandra is offline Homepage of Lysandra Search for Posts by Lysandra Add Lysandra to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Lysandra
Apollo
The Light

images/avatars/avatar-1118.jpg

Registration Date: 03-31-2008
Clan: Source/TFE

quote:
Originally posted by Lysandra
I don't think they intended to offend any one in anyway. Besides, it if was really that offensive (as a whole), I'm sure the Polish Realm would have said something by now.

Maybe it means something else in polish? And it's just a coincidence that it gets translated to mean that in english? Roll Eyes

12-15-2010 17:30 Apollo is offline Homepage of Apollo Search for Posts by Apollo Add Apollo to your Buddy List
Evangelion
The warning machine

images/avatars/avatar-71.jpg

Registration Date: 03-01-2007

Technically the warning wasn't for the historical analogy but for grouping polish community by a few individuals' actions.

And the event Night of Long Knives is just an event. It's something that happened in the past, it's not directed at anyone.

All complaints on all the Moderators should be sent to me via

PM rules = who is who and what may be reported to whom

"Getting old is mandatory... being mature is optional"

12-15-2010 21:05 Evangelion is offline Homepage of Evangelion Search for Posts by Evangelion Add Evangelion to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Evangelion
Endonium

Anyway, the air has been cleared Smile Let's move along and close this topic now Big Grin

Yep, closed Wink

12-15-2010 21:07 Endonium is offline Search for Posts by Endonium Add Endonium to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Mishmash » Night of long knives ?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH