Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Mishmash » Should the 1 min wait between sending messages be removed » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: Should the 1 min wait between sending messages be removed
Only for premium players 19 38.00%
YES - for everyone 17 34.00%
NO - I dont want spam 9 18.00%
Only for clan leader 5 10.00%
Total: 50 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Should the 1 min wait between sending messages be removed 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
liamb1992
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-234.jpg

Registration Date: 01-01-2008
Race in game: Thoughtcatcher
Clan: Source

Should the 1 min wait between sending messages be removed Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Poll sugested by Azz Wink
07-19-2008 22:18 liamb1992 is offline Search for Posts by liamb1992 Add liamb1992 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for liamb1992
DemonDude
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-208.gif

Registration Date: 06-20-2008
Race in game: Absorber
Clan: TIG

RE: Should the 1 min wait between sending messages be removed Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I dont think so!!

I said no, people will start to use the thing like crazy and to many messages will create more lag, even if the max is lowered, more being sent is worse!!!

If there is going to be lag, id rather it be for a kewl effect or somthing else!!!

07-19-2008 22:25 DemonDude is offline Homepage of DemonDude Search for Posts by DemonDude Add DemonDude to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DemonDude: [= Nope =] YIM Account Name of DemonDude: [= Dont use this either =] View the MSN Profile for DemonDude
Serafine
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-247.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2008
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: [-END-]

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well if it is going to be lowered for Clan Leaders, then it should include Deputies also as they spend as much time talking with other clans, mercs etc.

I voted for Prem players. That way won't create much extra server load and is another lure for ppl to go Prem.

But in saying that it would be nice to see it abolished for everyone.

Selling:

See Necro Profile - mostly rubbish tbh.

Buying:

See IGProfile.
07-20-2008 00:07 Serafine is offline Search for Posts by Serafine Add Serafine to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Serafine
Artoir.
Avenger

images/avatars/avatar-599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-24-2008
Clan: V13

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

definitly for premium at least, even if it was reduced to 30 secs

07-20-2008 01:14 Artoir. is offline Homepage of Artoir. Search for Posts by Artoir. Add Artoir. to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Artoir.
Evangelion
The warning machine

images/avatars/avatar-71.jpg

Registration Date: 03-01-2007
Clan: BoS

I voted for no. Right now the message system doesn't generate much lags. If there was no limit then even one player could cause extreme lags by massively clicking the refresh button and I'm sure there are people like that, it cannot be helped.

All complaints on all the Moderators should be sent to me via

PM rules = who is who and what may be reported to whom

"Getting old is mandatory... being mature is optional"

07-20-2008 01:25 Evangelion is offline Homepage of Evangelion Search for Posts by Evangelion Add Evangelion to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Evangelion
Lysandra
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-344.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2008

I would love a shorter lag time between messages, but if everyone had it I think it would slow down the server so it should be one of those things you need premium for. Either that or have it be just for leaders and deputies as we tend to get and send more messages.

quote:
Originally posted by *GayTiger*
lys... that was amazing, it's pure orgasm on a page!

07-20-2008 01:28 Lysandra is offline Homepage of Lysandra Search for Posts by Lysandra Add Lysandra to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Lysandra
Azz420
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-676.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2007
Clan: .DB.

quote:
Originally posted by Evangelion
I voted for no. Right now the message system doesn't generate much lags. If there was no limit then even one player could cause extreme lags by massively clicking the refresh button and I'm sure there are people like that, it cannot be helped.

why does everything come down to lag ???
other games seem to function just fine without a timer
infact the timer is causing as much lag as sending messages

and what happens of you keep clicking the refresh button ????

07-20-2008 04:22 Azz420 is offline Search for Posts by Azz420 Add Azz420 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Azz420
Zizu
Double Ace

Registration Date: 06-12-2008
Clan: BLP !

if u hit refresh button it will send another message, which is a copy of last one. Easy way to make uber spam, lets say for top1 xD 300 messages per minute ? xD
07-20-2008 10:32 Zizu is offline Search for Posts by Zizu Add Zizu to your Buddy List
Azz420
Lord

i would have thought you would have been banned after say 5 refreshes
not allowed to keep posting :/
im sure there are ways to stop spamming ???
look at the reports for swearing and abuse
they are right down recently
it just needs the right policing

07-20-2008 10:38 Azz420 is offline Search for Posts by Azz420 Add Azz420 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Azz420
Artoir.
Avenger

Then what about reducing the limit as i said Evan?

07-20-2008 16:54 Artoir. is offline Homepage of Artoir. Search for Posts by Artoir. Add Artoir. to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Artoir.
Nhan Ho
Double Ace

images/avatars/avatar-228.jpg

Registration Date: 06-11-2008

I say......
YES!!!OTHERS, NO WAY! so...YES!!!
its annoying waiting for a min.... Pleased Big Grin
don't I think people won't be Mr.Spamalot

Remember The Name...

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Nhan Ho: 07-20-2008 17:19.

07-20-2008 17:15 Nhan Ho is offline Search for Posts by Nhan Ho Add Nhan Ho to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Nhan Ho: nhanho25@hotmail.co.uk YIM Account Name of Nhan Ho: nhanho25@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for Nhan Ho
Raxis
Set Abominae

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 12-12-2007

Hang on. That's right, the timer does create as much lag... however I believe maybe Thirty seconds would be fine, cos I find after I have written the note usually I have about twenty seconds left

Your imperfection.
07-21-2008 01:40 Raxis is offline Search for Posts by Raxis Add Raxis to your Buddy List
Artoir.
Avenger

Azz would u agree to a 30 secs compromise?

I get the feeling the mods are going stick by their spam argument, reducing the time to 30 secs would improve your situation and still stop people from spamming

07-21-2008 01:46 Artoir. is offline Homepage of Artoir. Search for Posts by Artoir. Add Artoir. to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Artoir.
Evangelion
The warning machine

images/avatars/avatar-71.jpg

Registration Date: 03-01-2007
Clan: BoS

quote:
Originally posted by Nhan Ho
don't I think people won't be Mr.Spamalot

What about people who violate the game rules with premeditation and get caught? They would be angry and try to ruin the other players' game.

All complaints on all the Moderators should be sent to me via

PM rules = who is who and what may be reported to whom

"Getting old is mandatory... being mature is optional"

07-21-2008 10:57 Evangelion is offline Homepage of Evangelion Search for Posts by Evangelion Add Evangelion to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Evangelion
Nhan Ho
Double Ace

quote:
Originally posted by Artoir.
Azz would u agree to a 30 secs compromise?

I get the feeling the mods are going stick by their spam argument, reducing the time to 30 secs would improve your situation and still stop people from spamming

Great I love 30secs, Evan maybe your right, but sometimes its annoying waiting for a minute, 30secs would be great!!!

and if they do you know violate or something stuff, you get the idea...wham bam thing, forgot whats its called tho

Remember The Name...

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Nhan Ho: 07-21-2008 11:29.

07-21-2008 11:25 Nhan Ho is offline Search for Posts by Nhan Ho Add Nhan Ho to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Nhan Ho: nhanho25@hotmail.co.uk YIM Account Name of Nhan Ho: nhanho25@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for Nhan Ho
Azz420
Lord

Hey its not just for me
but 30 seconds is better than 1 min Tongue

07-21-2008 11:42 Azz420 is offline Search for Posts by Azz420 Add Azz420 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Azz420
Artoir.
Avenger

I know but as the threadstarter, credit is due

So Evan, what about 30 secs as opposed to 1min? Everyone wins Smile

07-21-2008 15:30 Artoir. is offline Homepage of Artoir. Search for Posts by Artoir. Add Artoir. to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Artoir.
AudatiousTitan
Lord

Registration Date: 02-03-2008

yea 30 seconds sounds like a good compromise

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by AudatiousTitan: 07-21-2008 18:10.

07-21-2008 18:09 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
Kleks
Forum Ace

images/avatars/avatar-289.jpg

Registration Date: 04-21-2007
Race in game: Thoughtcatcher
Clan: A.S

i've voted yes for premmy users but true that clan leaders/deputys each day are basicly flooded by msgs (can't argue with that) so lowering the timer to 30 seconds will greatly ease the tensions and the ammount of frustration betwean sending one msg and getting 2 or 3 more that has to be answered.

So please lower the limit to 30 sec Smile

and if someone say "let they use irc"

let me say this way ;]

try to persuade 30 players to use irc each day just to communicate with each other. It'll work for a 2 or 3 days after that -> msg box = 30+ msgs -.-

07-21-2008 22:30 Kleks is offline Homepage of Kleks Search for Posts by Kleks Add Kleks to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kleks: . YIM Account Name of Kleks: . View the MSN Profile for Kleks
Szeszej
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-1121.jpg

Registration Date: 02-21-2007
Clan: Overlords

Sorry, but if we removed/shortened the time it'd be too easy for spammers. I don't think you want your pm boxes full of "buy V 1 a Gr A" Wink

07-22-2008 09:34 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
Azz420
Lord

quote:
Originally posted by Szeszej
Sorry, but if we removed/shortened the time it'd be too easy for spammers. I don't think you want your pm boxes full of "buy V 1 a Gr A" Wink

this isnt email why would anyone send mails like that ????
pathetic response i expect more than just BS from you lot
add an ignore button/page
take 1 second off the timer every lvl we get (so by lvl 60 there is no timer)
do something dont just palm us off with some worthless spiel Frown

all the timer does is discriminate against the real players
and im sure they out number the spammers 5000-1
so by keeping the timer you are supporting a minority
and punishing the rest of the gamers who have done nothing wrong Frown

and this is just hypothetical spammers
no one knows if people will start to abuse messaging if it was changed
as you wont even consider giving it a trial run ????

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Azz420: 07-22-2008 10:48.

07-22-2008 09:48 Azz420 is offline Search for Posts by Azz420 Add Azz420 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Azz420
Raxis
Set Abominae

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 12-12-2007

I understand what you mean Szeszjez but I doubt it'd happen.

The biggest problem is for a clan leader who has to correlate to ten maybe fifteen people all at once... they have to wait that long to do it...

How about another suggestion, Clan Leaders and deputies don't have the timer IF they respond to a message from a clan member

Your imperfection.
07-22-2008 11:28 Raxis is offline Search for Posts by Raxis Add Raxis to your Buddy List
DemonDude
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-208.gif

Registration Date: 06-20-2008
Clan: TIG

Na, that adds more questions to the system!!

Just lower it to 30 for leaders and deputies =]

07-22-2008 11:55 DemonDude is offline Homepage of DemonDude Search for Posts by DemonDude Add DemonDude to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DemonDude: [= Nope =] YIM Account Name of DemonDude: [= Dont use this either =] View the MSN Profile for DemonDude
Mortis
Emperor

images/avatars/avatar-47.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007
Clan: BoS exLead

quote:
Originally posted by Szeszej

Give it a trial and we will see. If other games can have no problem with this why not this one?

"Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind."
07-22-2008 12:24 Mortis is offline Search for Posts by Mortis Add Mortis to your Buddy List Add Mortis to your Contact List
Nhan Ho
Double Ace

@Szeszej:
Look at the poll, Mostly people said yes, so almost everyone don't mind

I don't mind my mail full of emails, coz its fun reading them Smile
but some people ain't like me tho Tongue

but its annoying waiting...
so basically I like my mails full Tongue

look, even some people are agreeing Smile

Remember The Name...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Nhan Ho: 07-22-2008 12:26.

07-22-2008 12:25 Nhan Ho is offline Search for Posts by Nhan Ho Add Nhan Ho to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Nhan Ho: nhanho25@hotmail.co.uk YIM Account Name of Nhan Ho: nhanho25@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for Nhan Ho
Serafine
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-247.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2008
Clan: [-END-]

An ignore option for spammers would solve that. You will get some ppl that will spam purely to get banned. But I doubt anyone would be sad enough to send spam like that just for the sake of it (that said, there is always someone dumb enough)

Hell I already get message titles like that, weird sense of humour my mate has lol.

As a Deputy when I am organising a siege I have to send about an extra 5-10 messages to a different clan. Then deal with inter clan messages. Some days are quiet but most days I have 2 or 3 new messages waiting before I finish answering one. (gets worse after we get PoH, sending expo details, armour details etc etc and as someone already pointed out, using IRC is not always an option. I can't force ppl to download software they don't want to.)

Selling:

See Necro Profile - mostly rubbish tbh.

Buying:

See IGProfile.
07-22-2008 12:46 Serafine is offline Search for Posts by Serafine Add Serafine to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Serafine
Azz420
Lord

leave the 1 minute timer on until player has reached lvl 10-20
or if they get reported for spam then they get an extra minute added to timer or banned from sending messages for a few days.

there are many ways to reduce spam without penalising the true players

i think developers are just too lazy to take any responsibility for their game
i mean thats the 1st we have heard from Szeszej i like a month or more ????
been on holiday much???

07-22-2008 12:59 Azz420 is offline Search for Posts by Azz420 Add Azz420 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Azz420
Artoir.
Avenger

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Azz420
i think developers are just too lazy to take any responsibility for their game
i mean thats the 1st we have heard from Szeszej i like a month or more ????
been on holiday much???

To be fair Azz they probably have all been spending their time on 1.1, but I have to agree that answer was nothing more than a quick way to dispel an idea that would cause too much hassle for you guys to implement, even though you can spend time thinking up ideas such as security pic for expo pages.

Why not give it a trial? Forget levels, etc. If there's very little or no spam when the timer is 1 min, people arent going to be encouraged if they still have to wait a period of time to spam.

And if they are, people can report them and they can get a ban.

It's really not a humungous change to the game guys?

07-22-2008 15:00 Artoir. is offline Homepage of Artoir. Search for Posts by Artoir. Add Artoir. to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Artoir.
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Mishmash » Should the 1 min wait between sending messages be removed

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH