Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Mishmash » Bloodwars : is this game really that modern? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bloodwars : is this game really that modern? 6 Votes - Average Rating: 10.006 Votes - Average Rating: 10.006 Votes - Average Rating: 10.006 Votes - Average Rating: 10.006 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
souvik
Double Ace

Registration Date: 09-24-2013
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: CoS

Bloodwars : is this game really that modern? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

As the title suggests, I will discuss about the mock modern appearance of the game. As I played this game for last few months, I have a feeling that it is actually gimmicked with a modernized theme over a very ancient sword & sorcery RPG style. How? Here's the explanation:

As introduced to the newbies, the stage is set after a great world war that took place in the year 2019 which killed most of the population. People that survived it involuntarily turned into bloodthirsty animal-like humanoids - and vampires that survived till then came forward. How far is that real according to the gameplay? Let's see in the following points:
(Warning: As I mentioned it was gimmicked, the game suffers a lot of goofs. The same may come forward any moment)

i) As we are given the chance to choose our race, we are offered four alternatives. Look at the descriptions of the cultists now, "Bloodline that originates from African prairies, where not so long ago shamans used to summon rain or bring famine upon neighbouring tribes using their rituals" .Not so long ago before 2019?

ii) When we start our character, we are welcome by a mysterious man (may be he is the lord of darkness himself, I don't remember it properly sorry for that). Look at his costumes now, he is dressed entirely like a shaman or ancient black magician - something hard to imagine in a post apocalyptic war.

iii) When we are allotted a square in the city, the structure is defined to us like some concentric circles, which gets stronger as we start getting into the core. This kind of population was extremely popular in the medieval ages and related literatures; where the ruler used to erect his building in the center of the town, this was encircled by his most trusted employees houses and the subjects were allowed to live in the perimeter of them.

iv) When we look at the buildings and their effects, we find some of the game goofs: ( I have considered lower class vampires run these buildings who are kind of labours)

a)Employment Agency: With no living human present, how may people be generated? Some may argue that they are cloned or somehow genetically created, that becomes null and void in the next point.

b)Slaughter-house: Human, the most adaptive race in the universe couldn't survive the ill effects of the deadly virus, how can animals withstand it ? Again, if humans could be generated in employment agencies, human blood would have been a better choice for any vampire.

c)Armoury: If it were a building, then after takeover siege all the items should have remained there. But in reality it is always equipped with the player/ vampire.

v) When we look at the shop, we find items, surprisingly all of them come right from 18th or hardly 19th century. (apart from chainsaw which has been discussed in vii)

vi) While questing, we find items that are sometimes prefixed and/ or suffixed.
a) Point to be noted is that, these fixes are not enhanced with technology, but they are infused with ... magic !!! same goes with upgradation of items.

b) Once again, all the prefix and suffixes have an ancient nomenclature.

vii) In quests and / or auctions we find the only modern items in this game, guns. However, on minute watch it is evident that all the in-game guns and the chainsaw were present before WWII, hence they may not be too up to date weapons.

viii) Vampires stats' are tremendously influenced by items equipped or worn or used. Here too, magic and astrology is implied.

ix) After level 20 we come to face the expedition monsters. Just read their names aloud, any listener will ask for the origin of the mythology. What I mean is that they are all borrowed from past legends and cryptids, no sign of any modern mutated beast is found there.

Hope you enjoyed reading this. I wish you will feel free to comment on this thread regarding this subject.

P.S.: If I find any other such irregularity that will be posted here too.

01-31-2014 18:39 souvik is offline Search for Posts by souvik Add souvik to your Buddy List
Mortis
Emperor

images/avatars/avatar-47.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007
Race in game: Absorber
Clan: BoS exLead

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Very nice analyses, but trying to find meaning and logic in a game where all is fictional.. well.. good luck with that anyway Wink

"Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind."
02-01-2014 11:21 Mortis is offline Search for Posts by Mortis Add Mortis to your Buddy List Add Mortis to your Contact List
souvik
Double Ace

Thread Starter Thread Started by souvik
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks Mortis. I was just trying to seek out the inherent faults that my eyes can find, so that they may be mended up to make this game more appealing. And to be truthful, I could not consent to the phrase " but trying to find meaning and logic in a game where all is fictional.. well.. good luck with that anyway "

As we expect the fictional characters or events to be rather better follower of logic than reality lol. I mean we'll take it for granted if our newly bought car refuses to start next morning, but in a racing video game can you imagine what will be the impact of the same on the game's commercial value?

Once again everyone feel free to post anything that mismatches with the theme of the game.

02-01-2014 15:25 souvik is offline Search for Posts by souvik Add souvik to your Buddy List
darc
Viking

Registration Date: 01-17-2008

maybe.the nuke which generated an emp knocked.out all moden day weapons so only kentic weapons work i.e ak scopio as such

radiation does funnys things so the magic weapons are radioactive and since.vamps are diffrent they can use them.

samll bands of humans would have survived so thats were they came from and we vamps let them breed so we can eat them. just like humans do we cows and such

and thats the names we gave the monsters as encountered them maybe from some ancient tome we found

thats my answers for them
02-15-2014 04:03 darc is offline Search for Posts by darc Add darc to your Buddy List
Grizly
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-618.jpeg

Registration Date: 11-10-2009
Clan: BC-R/D.B.

1. Do you play the game "RAGE"? or do you see the most movies about post apocalyptic times? Everywhere the people or mutants that survive don't have technology, they are become a monsters. Except the movie Violet, where the vampires have their own laboratories... so the devs have made a good job, when you don't have technology you use only mechanic items like swords guns, etc, you don't have lasers because you need technology Wink

2. about Slaughter-house:
like dark says they are but you need them for other purposes and maybe only very reach vampires have money for human blood, and again in the Violet movie (if i remember correct), the vampires get a dozes of blood, from cloned people, other vampires take a cloned blood..

3. People and animals, some viruses attack only a specific type of ADN, and most animals are not affected, so practically can be an epidemic situation of a ADN virus, and obly humanoids will die...

02-15-2014 08:20 Grizly is offline Search for Posts by Grizly Add Grizly to your Buddy List
souvik
Double Ace

quote:
Originally posted by Grizly
1. Do you play the game "RAGE"? or do you see the most movies about post apocalyptic times? Everywhere the people or mutants that survive don't have technology, they are become a monsters. Except the movie Violet, where the vampires have their own laboratories... so the devs have made a good job, when you don't have technology you use only mechanic items like swords guns, etc, you don't have lasers because you need technology Wink

2. about Slaughter-house:
like dark says they are but you need them for other purposes and maybe only very reach vampires have money for human blood, and again in the Violet movie (if i remember correct), the vampires get a dozes of blood, from cloned people, other vampires take a cloned blood..

3. People and animals, some viruses attack only a specific type of ADN, and most animals are not affected, so practically can be an epidemic situation of a ADN virus, and obly humanoids will die...

With technology obsolete or wiped out,

1> There won't be a "supply" of machined weapons that need sophisticated bullets.

2> If a nuke/ explosions has obliterated most of the modern world, the first thing to catch fire will be petroleum, and needless to say an explosion powerful enough to extinguish all signs of technology, will definitely burn up anything that may be considered as fuel thus LPG, Gasolene, Diesel etc. everything would be burnt up. But still we have taxi station and flamethrower, both of which uses gas.

3> I agree with the point made by you and Darc that some genetically gifted persons and animals survived the apocalypse but were found by the vampires and were used as cattles. Very logical and reasonable view. However it doesn't answer the last question asked by me at the slaughter house.

Finally a cross question on Darc's answer on the mobs, considering the ancient tomes miraculously survived the apocalypse to keep the names of the mobs alive, however, the picture of the mobs are pixel to pixel ditto with the mythic creatures. One possible solution could be that the mobs were named after seeing the visual similarity of them with the cryptids as mentioned, but it still retains a question, only the cryptids from the folklores are found in the outskirts. Nothing different than that apart from one, the xr12-yv. May be if new mobs are introduced this goof be rationalized.

02-19-2014 17:56 souvik is offline Search for Posts by souvik Add souvik to your Buddy List
darc
Viking

Registration Date: 01-17-2008

in real life you can get a 2 headed snake so so it can't be that far a push for a hydra after a nuke has changed its dna.

also a nuke would stop the plants working but after some repair could be.used again to get what we need just not as much

they find alsorts at dig sites. finding a book wouldnt be.that hard a push ether
02-22-2014 06:48 darc is offline Search for Posts by darc Add darc to your Buddy List
Indica
Banned

Registration Date: 12-24-2012

quote:
Originally posted by Mortis
Very nice analyses, but trying to find meaning and logic in a game where all is fictional.. well.. good luck with that anyway Wink

Interesting read, but as mortis said, you're close to being in a category with the worst kind of people, "oh I don't like this game it isn't very realistic."
Why play a game and go digging for realism? Isn't the whole concept of a game the fact you can have whatever you want without having to stick with the constraints of reality?

02-22-2014 09:28 Indica is offline Search for Posts by Indica Add Indica to your Buddy List
souvik
Double Ace

quote:
Originally posted by Indica
quote:

Interesting read, but as mortis said, you're close to being in a category with the worst kind of people, "oh I don't like this game it isn't very realistic."
Why play a game and go digging for realism? Isn't the whole concept of a game the fact you can have whatever you want without having to stick with the constraints of reality?

When you started the game, you were provided with a blank square and no equipment and at this moment you upgraded that to a handsome extent, couldn't you have kept it that way? no because you knew more you upgrade it, more you gain the benefit. Morale, change made you better.

Similarly it's just a thought waved towards the devs to think about. It's a critic's review and the rest is up to the director(s) to consider whether to make some changes or not. I never said "I don't like the game because it's unrealistic". You made that part by yourself. I only said that these are some possible existing goofs and factual errors. And it is no way meant to prove that the game is bad or something like that.

02-22-2014 16:17 souvik is offline Search for Posts by souvik Add souvik to your Buddy List
Indica
Banned

Registration Date: 12-24-2012

quote:
Originally posted by souvik
quote:
Originally posted by Indica
quote:

When you started the game, you were provided with a blank square and no equipment and at this moment you upgraded that to a handsome extent, couldn't you have kept it that way? no because you knew more you upgrade it, more you gain the benefit. Morale, change made you better.

Similarly it's just a thought waved towards the devs to think about. It's a critic's review and the rest is up to the director(s) to consider whether to make some changes or not. I never said "I don't like the game because it's unrealistic". You made that part by yourself. I only said that these are some possible existing goofs and factual errors. And it is no way meant to prove that the game is bad or something like that.

and i said you were close to it, as for the rest, tl;dr

02-22-2014 18:33 Indica is offline Search for Posts by Indica Add Indica to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Mishmash » Bloodwars : is this game really that modern?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH