Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Offtopic » Question to all gamers » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: What type of aiming do you use when playing games?
Normal 56 80.00%
Inverted 14 20.00%
Total: 70 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Question to all gamers
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Nemazis
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-1123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2008
Race in game: Absorber
Clan: Badger

Question to all gamers Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Just wondering, what do you use when you play games, inverted or normal? For the people who don't know the difference or what it is, here's a quick explanation.

Inverted - When aiming, moving the stick/mouse up makes the aim go down, and vica verse.

Normal - When aiming, moving the stick/mouse up makes the aim go up (it's normal, duh) and vica verse.

Reason i ask? Because one of my real life friends (anyone who remembers bighead0010 on here) uses normal, i use inverted, and he claims everyone who uses inverted is inferior (his actual words at one point) and we should all change and use normal. The funny thing is, about 7 people that we both know use invert, and him and one other uses normal.

Anyway, just answer please, and if possible, can you turn it into a pole? It's easier than gathering answers and editting this post.

+1 normal (bighead0010) he doesn't play blood, but still adding him. Just add 1 to whatever the results are at the mo.

And I'm backety back and I'm back y'all
I'm backety back back
And back back and backety back yo
Because I'm back and I'm black

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Nemazis: 01-16-2009 22:58.

01-16-2009 22:47 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
Evangelion
The warning machine

images/avatars/avatar-71.jpg

Registration Date: 03-01-2007
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: BoS

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Poll added. I hope the question is ok Wink

Voted for normal Wink

All complaints on all the Moderators should be sent to me via

PM rules = who is who and what may be reported to whom

"Getting old is mandatory... being mature is optional"

01-16-2009 22:55 Evangelion is offline Homepage of Evangelion Search for Posts by Evangelion Add Evangelion to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Evangelion
Nemazis
Lord

Thread Starter Thread Started by Nemazis
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks evan, hopefully quite afew people will actually contribute to this... i might have to ask my clan to add to this just so i can get mroe answers.

I'm backety back back
01-16-2009 22:59 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
Igor

images/avatars/avatar-253.jpg

Registration Date: 12-26-2007

both

the inverted im guessing came from early flight-sim style games
at least - those were the first games i played with inverted up/down
and often did not have the options to customize control settings

didnt have the option in the poll

kinda all depends on the game - and the controller being used
and wether or not there are multiple vehicle/foot/comms default controls

bit like the option to stick to default WASD keysets
or arrow keys or to completely customize your controller options

i muddle thru depending on needs with any control system
especially if the game is set up for someone else preferences

the best gaming session i remember in a FPS
was no aimcursor no autoaim inverted left right on the N64
where each player had to use his most disliked invert/normal up/down

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Igor: 01-16-2009 23:34.

01-16-2009 23:27 Igor is offline Search for Posts by Igor Add Igor to your Buddy List
Curse Caster

images/avatars/avatar-315.jpg

Registration Date: 12-23-2008
Clan: END

I voted for normal!!

Even though most fps' come with inverted active which could lead to asume that your meant/wanted to use it like that, i still find it easyer due to it being what i grew up with!!

As new games come with it pre-inverted a lot of new gamers are used to the inverted, which explains why its become so popular!!

I asume the inverted controls were introduced with aircraft, then it moved to fps with games that had both units and ships!!

But to anwser the question, i think normal version is better as its the system you work with everyday!!! (up actually being up) And thus you should be more fluid with it!!!

Also, when you play old games that dont allow you to use the inverted system, and you use it for all your games, then your performance will be waay lower than it should be based on your skill!!!

Thats my view anyway!!! =D

01-16-2009 23:33 Curse Caster is offline Search for Posts by Curse Caster Add Curse Caster to your Buddy List
Nemazis
Lord

@Igor - Wow... that's one messed up gaming session, FORTUNATELY, i CAN use normal (takes about 5 minutes for me to get used to it) but DAYUM, inverted left/right is just awkward.

@Curse Caster - Yeah i grew up with normal aswell, but then i saw one of my brothers playing as it, changed it to inverted to test it out, forgot to change back and been using it for years now. And most games where it doesn't have inverted i can survive playing anyway. Besides, about old games not having inverted, doesn't goldeneye (on N64) even have inverted? That's the OLDEST game i can remember that'd like... have the choice.

I'm backety back back
01-16-2009 23:43 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
Igor

images/avatars/avatar-253.jpg

Registration Date: 12-26-2007

heh - like you say it only takes a few minutes to get used to things

as for when it started becoming an option...
well - ive been gaming since bbc/acorn atari / zx80 times (late 70's early 80's)
yes goldeneye had options for inverted controls - but as a
floating set of 'default' options - preset patterns - not user defined really

memory fails me too much further back than the n64 era
but i dont remember any of the old cartridge or tape based games
i played having options for inverted x/y axis - i could be wrong
01-17-2009 09:45 Igor is offline Search for Posts by Igor Add Igor to your Buddy List
Mortis
Emperor

images/avatars/avatar-47.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007
Clan: BoS exLead

Normal

"Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind."
01-17-2009 12:15 Mortis is offline Search for Posts by Mortis Add Mortis to your Buddy List Add Mortis to your Contact List
Cthulhu
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpeg

Registration Date: 11-29-2007
Clan: HL

Normal rocks!

Inverted is for people with strange depth perception. Tongue Big Grin

HBS

ENCHANTMENT
01-17-2009 14:09 Cthulhu is offline Homepage of Cthulhu Search for Posts by Cthulhu Add Cthulhu to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

Registration Date: 10-22-2008

i can only use normal for some reason. even with most vehicles on fps i have to change the control layout. lol

01-17-2009 14:24 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
Evangelion
The warning machine

The inverted aiming was the first thing that annoyed me in gta:sa... I had to change them in the options Tongue

01-17-2009 17:28 Evangelion is offline Homepage of Evangelion Search for Posts by Evangelion Add Evangelion to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Evangelion
nelacar
Double Ace

Registration Date: 11-07-2007
Clan: -END-

inverted..for fps i cant use the "normal" aiming at all...has to be inverted
01-17-2009 18:13 nelacar is offline Search for Posts by nelacar Add nelacar to your Buddy List
KILLER X

images/avatars/avatar-323.gif

Registration Date: 01-16-2009
Race in game: Cultist
Clan: [O-G]

i voted for normal......... but i like inverted 2
01-17-2009 19:25 KILLER X is offline Search for Posts by KILLER X Add KILLER X to your Buddy List
Nemazis
Lord

DAMMIT, SOH MANY PEOPLE CHOSE NORMAL >_<

Ah well, at least now i got a comparison of how many people use normal or inverted (or in igor's case, both XD) because i've always wondered who uses what.

And Cthulhu (DAMMIT GET A SANE, SPELLABLE NAME!) SCREW YOU *runs far far away* INVERTED ROCKS!!! Tongue

I'm backety back back
01-17-2009 21:38 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
Evangelion
The warning machine

Cthulhu is an easily spellable name Wink

And of course...
quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Normal rocks!

I second that Wink

01-17-2009 22:38 Evangelion is offline Homepage of Evangelion Search for Posts by Evangelion Add Evangelion to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Evangelion
diablo
The contract has expired - former moderator.

images/avatars/avatar-735.jpeg

Registration Date: 07-05-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Normal rocks!

Exactly.

01-18-2009 01:06 diablo is offline Homepage of diablo Search for Posts by diablo Add diablo to your Buddy List
unholy-beast

images/avatars/avatar-325.gif

Registration Date: 11-22-2008
Clan: BiBo

i use inverted, normal confuses me Tongue
01-18-2009 02:40 unholy-beast is offline Search for Posts by unholy-beast Add unholy-beast to your Buddy List
dtr
Triple Ace

Registration Date: 12-02-2008

I cannot use normal at all, Inverted is the way to go!

PS. I do NOT have unusual depth perception "hits head on screen" Whoops, too close again! Dammit

dtr

02-15-2009 14:22 dtr is offline Search for Posts by dtr Add dtr to your Buddy List
nemoralis
Harsh mistress

images/avatars/avatar-397.jpg

Registration Date: 08-28-2007
Clan: Vault 13

I really can't understand people who use inverted-just feels so wrong. Normal all the way Smile

02-15-2009 15:11 nemoralis is offline Search for Posts by nemoralis Add nemoralis to your Buddy List
Lasher

Registration Date: 01-04-2009

Inverted sucks big time! Expecially at a few games witch the option of making the mouse work normal is missing, so you gotta change you're style of playing or dump the game.

02-15-2009 16:09 Lasher is offline Homepage of Lasher Search for Posts by Lasher Add Lasher to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Lasher: N/A YIM Account Name of Lasher: N/A View the MSN Profile for Lasher
Cthulhu
Viking

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpeg

Registration Date: 11-29-2007
Clan: HL

quote:
Originally posted by Nemazis
And Cthulhu (DAMMIT GET A SANE, SPELLABLE NAME!) SCREW YOU *runs far far away* INVERTED ROCKS!!! Tongue

LoL - if I had a PS3 we could pick a game & I'd challenge you to a normal / inverted shoot out, then we'd see...... alas, the Great & Good Gaming Gods have not been kind enough to bless me with online uber gaming. Tongue

And my name is perfectly spellable, think:- C - thul - hu (or if that is too annoying, just call me Tentacles - I respond well to that! Big Grin )

HBS

ENCHANTMENT

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Cthulhu: 02-15-2009 16:41.

02-15-2009 16:40 Cthulhu is offline Homepage of Cthulhu Search for Posts by Cthulhu Add Cthulhu to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

Registration Date: 02-03-2008

Defo normal, athough inverted can be useful for controlling the camera. Somethimes ppl dont notice that the horizontal axis is inverted, athought its usually really awakard.
02-15-2009 17:38 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
DemonDude2
Lord

images/avatars/avatar-1081.jpg

Registration Date: 11-18-2008
Clan: >:D

The awkward thing is when a game is pre set to inverted, so when you get a new game for the first time, quite often you dont want to change it kus your to busy shootin bad guys lol

... Then about half way through the game you die 3 times in a row, get angry, blame the control setup and change it

But your used to to playing inverted for about an hour, so it takes a few mins to get re-adjusted to normal again....

Isnt it fact enough that its called normal that its the version your meant to use? ... tho i dont think all games call it normal (their the stupid games)

'Imagine waking up, and finding out you have the wrong blankey'

02-15-2009 17:43 DemonDude2 is offline Search for Posts by DemonDude2 Add DemonDude2 to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

quote:
Originally posted by DemonDude2
The awkward thing is when a game is pre set to inverted, so when you get a new game for the first time, quite often you dont want to change it kus your to busy shootin bad guys lol

... Then about half way through the game you die 3 times in a row, get angry, blame the control setup and change it

But your used to to playing inverted for about an hour, so it takes a few mins to get re-adjusted to normal again....

Isnt it fact enough that its called normal that its the version your meant to use? ... tho i dont think all games call it normal (their the stupid games)

I hate when that happens, lol, i actually do that a fair bit haha. Whenever im playing the xbox in my couzins it gets annoying. Il go into an online match of cod or halo and realise its inverted a few mins in after ive just been destroyed, then i suck for a few mins cuz im half used to both styles, lol
02-15-2009 17:57 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
Nemazis
Lord

quote:
Originally posted by AudatiousTitan
quote:

I hate when that happens, lol, i actually do that a fair bit haha. Whenever im playing the xbox in my couzins it gets annoying. Il go into an online match of cod or halo and realise its inverted a few mins in after ive just been destroyed, then i suck for a few mins cuz im half used to both styles, lol

That happens to me all the time at friends houses, takes me about 5 minutes to adjust to normal (even though i much rather inverted) i get smacked, then change it, only difference, is about 5 minutes after changing it, i'm at kickass level again, and for the time i WAS playing normal, i was also, kickass XD

Haha you got a warning.

I'm backety back back
02-15-2009 18:20 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

u dont kickass dj, u kno i own u at halo Wink And i could have given myself a warning Wink lol
02-15-2009 18:22 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
Nemazis
Lord

Well then if you kickass so much, versus me on halo afterwards at 7 then XD or sometime, i wanna prove i kick more ass than you.

Unrelated: Cthulhu (i didn't look, just guessed) i'd rather not call you tentacles... kinda... creepy nickname, i'll just call you the un-spellable XD oh wait.... sjblah is also unspellable... and i'd still beat you on games, because i'm uber XD

I'm backety back back
02-15-2009 18:25 Nemazis is offline Homepage of Nemazis Search for Posts by Nemazis Add Nemazis to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

Cant 2day dj, need to do work for 2morro, external verifier is coming in...im screwed lol

Any1 ever played any games where u can only use inverted?
02-15-2009 19:18 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
Pops
moderator...apparently

Registration Date: 10-22-2008

most flight simulation games were inverted only

02-15-2009 19:20 Pops is offline Search for Posts by Pops Add Pops to your Buddy List
AudatiousTitan
Lord

Just plane awkard (what a pun)

I have played a few, i find them harder to play because the option to change isnt there.
02-15-2009 19:22 AudatiousTitan is offline Search for Posts by AudatiousTitan Add AudatiousTitan to your Buddy List
tatiana

Registration Date: 05-01-2008
Clan: BoS/V13

mostly normal, sometime inverted... if i ever play a airplane simulation...
02-15-2009 20:25 tatiana is offline Search for Posts by tatiana Add tatiana to your Buddy List
DemonDude2
Lord

Thats kus your meant to play them with a joystick (thats a pun ... euuw) lol

And a simulation is intended to simulate what its really like!

02-15-2009 21:07 DemonDude2 is offline Search for Posts by DemonDude2 Add DemonDude2 to your Buddy List
Artoir.
Avenger

images/avatars/avatar-599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-24-2008
Clan: V13

quote:

That's not a pun, that's a euphimism. And no one had thought of it until you said it Tongue

02-15-2009 21:19 Artoir. is offline Homepage of Artoir. Search for Posts by Artoir. Add Artoir. to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Artoir.
oh_teh_noes
Double Ace

Registration Date: 12-15-2008
Clan: Boot Camp

eww, inverted, sick and wrong Tongue

personally i just use normal. have tried inverted, but it would take so much effort to adapt to.

nice thread, interesting to see the results.

Ingame Underworld: Oh_Teh_Noes
Ingame Necropolis: Cubic

02-15-2009 22:16 oh_teh_noes is offline Search for Posts by oh_teh_noes Add oh_teh_noes to your Buddy List
DemonDude2
Lord

quote:
Originally posted by Artoir.
quote:

That's not a pun, that's a euphimism. And no one had thought of it until you said it Tongue

I nu that.. it was a test!!!

02-15-2009 23:34 DemonDude2 is offline Search for Posts by DemonDude2 Add DemonDude2 to your Buddy List
dreamdusk

images/avatars/avatar-332.jpg

Registration Date: 09-11-2008
Clan: BIA / S.S.

Inverted...push forward, lean forward, look down.

Pull back, lean back, look up.

Far more natural.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to take advice...

02-22-2010 22:59 dreamdusk is offline Search for Posts by dreamdusk Add dreamdusk to your Buddy List
pricey

images/avatars/avatar-728.jpg

Registration Date: 01-15-2010
Clan: wolfie

voted normal i did, cus i find it better for some reason

m 2 cents Wink

regards.
02-23-2010 07:48 pricey is offline Homepage of pricey Search for Posts by pricey Add pricey to your Buddy List
darc
Viking

Registration Date: 01-17-2008

i use both but i go for inverted most of the time it feels better for me and my aiming doesnt miss lol

so am voting inverted
02-23-2010 11:02 darc is offline Search for Posts by darc Add darc to your Buddy List
mortanius
Triple Ace

images/avatars/avatar-604.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2009
Clan: WOLF

Inverted and I have been ever since Starmaster on the Atari 2600.

02-23-2010 12:51 mortanius is offline Search for Posts by mortanius Add mortanius to your Buddy List
Nerakai

images/avatars/avatar-668.jpeg

Registration Date: 01-27-2010
Clan: I-end-I

normal all the way lol somethin just feels right bout up going up and down going down but when up goes down and down goes up its just confusing lol

I LOVE MY BRICK!

02-23-2010 14:29 Nerakai is offline Search for Posts by Nerakai Add Nerakai to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » General » Offtopic » Question to all gamers

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH