Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Game system » Opinions on the game after a 2 year break » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Opinions on the game after a 2 year break
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Unholy Emperor
I AM............dead.

images/avatars/avatar-569.gif

Registration Date: 05-12-2009
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: BoS

Shocked Opinions on the game after a 2 year break Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi BW Devs, I've returned to this game after 2 years and I thought I'd give my views on how this game looks, feels and plays after a 24 month break.

Looks:

The new "Awakening" is great, switched to that as soon as I saw it was an option, makes it feel like a newer game! But there are some faults with it, the latest update was a font change but this has removed the colours from auctions that are ending soon or have already finished. I don't know if this was intended but it makes the auctions harder to read.(1) The battle reports have changed colour too, they look garish now with so many colours, often highlighting an unnecessary line of text.(2) The animated reports are nice but I still find myself clicking to see the text format as it's quicker to see overall stats of the mob, my team and how effective I was.

(1) https://prnt.sc/r0sftc item had just finished when I took the screenshot, you can see I lost the auction but I didn't realise it was ending due to the colour missing

(2) https://prnt.sc/r0siev

Buying and selling:

As previously mentioned there is a fault with the "Awakening" skin and the auction colours. I've lost a couple of auctions as I keep assuming that since there is no colour, it's not ending in 15 minutes or less.
When I last played the mob to farm was Agrameon because with the right amount of agility you can dodge every attack and make it a pretty bountiful two man expedition. Now it seems that Bokrug is the biggest exp earner; some hosting players pullling in 1.5m exp per day, compared to 400-500k from Agra. This leads to the majority of the top 100 players farming 1.5m+ worth of stones a day and has subsequently broken the market. Only 1h + 2h melee, jewellery and some kinds of armours still sell for what they should do, or did do, two years ago. The advancement to "Epic" items has also hurt the market as the top 100 players no longer need pieces from the market to upgrade or get better, it's all personal upgrading now. This means high-value items found by players with no need for it or who already have an abundance of stones will sell the item without a starting bid, thus dropping the overall value of said items. Who would buy a P5 Deadly Kilt of the Night for 60k when they could buy all the pieces they need for 5k or less? No one, that's who. I really enjoy merging in this game, it's what brought me back and kept me here again this time. To find out that there's no market for any of my merges, that I'd have to sell them for a few stones and lose greatly on all of them, is starting to push me away again.

A suggestion to combat this would be to have operator-controlled characters or bots (with infinite stones) to bid on auctions that have a starting price and is considered to be on the same price value as other items have sold for in the past. Of the last 10 Deadly Cape of Speed items sold the mean value of them would be 223,164.3‬. With this thinking, future Deadly Cape's of Speed that are priced around the 180-225k mark would get a bid, this would mean many items would start to have value again as they would be bid upon regardless if no one wants the item.

Another suggestion would be to bring in a new feature called the "Merge Master" an entity who would reward you with runes/essence/some other high value item or resource in return for making the item they request. The higher the prefix/base/suffix the more rewards you would receive. This would bring a resurgence to the markets as every single active player would now be buying different items to appease the "Master" and reap the rewards! The "Merge Master" should destroy the item that is created for them as to not flood the market with end-game items for cheap. This feature would allow players to earn a larger amount of essence or runes but with more of a long-term plan, unless a player has been hoarding items, it should be something fun to work towards if you already have a full set of "Epic" quality items.

New players/characters and the problems they face:

I started a new character recently as I wanted to play as a gunner but I didn't want to change my main character. I like the changes that have been made, a little tutorial and guides in messages determined by the level you just reached is massive improvement over how it used to be. The update that removed the "Peace and quiet" messages from Act 1 quests is great! That was so annoying and probably a reason there's so many inactive players who didn't reach Act 2. Buying unwanted items from shops helped me out massively too, that's an incredible feature now!

The Zone 5 tasks are a bit too much to ask of new player, the requirements to upgrade some buildings are out of their reach until at least 25 when they can use the clan armoury. I've completed 5 tasks so far and I've just reached level 31. It might be very useful to tell new players in the "Acquire a vassal" task that they can create as many new characters as they wish and not just to find someone else to play the game too, it should work with the task too. Maybe even recurring bonuses to the amount of characters one player has versus how many of them are active with premium? The bonuses of moving to a Zone 4 square greatly outweigh the benefits of staying in Zone 5 meaning most won't complete all the tasks.

Expeditions. I created my alt so I could power them through mobs and gain a large amount of exp quickly. When I reached level 20, it dawned on me that my main character was level 149 and too high of a level to join. Out of the entire clan, only one player was active and low enough in level to help my alt, but they didn't want to. I left my clan and joined one that was specifically for low-level players but alas, there's still only one player who is of the right level and is active every day. I'm appreciative of their help, but their strength means if I get a Black Dragon or Hydra, although that's good for the exp boost, soon I and them will be too high of a level for them to help and I will be unable to progress efficiently.
A suggestion to fix this problem and I imagine it's a problem for a lot of people (there's far too many level 70+ players who don't have their black dragon badge yet) would be to enlist the help of a "Guardian" a bot who would have the correct stats and health to take on the mob and would do a set amount of damage, say 50-55% of mob health, leaving players who are properly equipped to take on the mob to do the other 45-50% of damage and "earn" their badge. A "Guardian" should only cost the same as taking a player at your level.

I'm sure there was more to add to this but as this has taken almost an hour and a half to type out, I'm gonna leave it here!

Edit: forgot to add links to pics of problems with the recent font change

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Unholy Emperor: 02-11-2020 15:32.

02-10-2020 11:28 Unholy Emperor is offline Search for Posts by Unholy Emperor Add Unholy Emperor to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Unholy Emperor
Szeszej
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-1121.jpg

Registration Date: 02-21-2007
Clan: Overlords

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thank you for your suggestions, that's a lot to stomach and I'll try to talk to devs about the most important points Smile

For now I can say that hopefully the app will be released soon and the font will look better there Smile

EDIT: We're working on the font in the desktop version too!

02-10-2020 12:42 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
trub
Triple Ace

Registration Date: 12-19-2017
Race in game: Cursed One
Clan: Howl

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If it aint broke, don`t fix it Szej....
02-11-2020 10:36 trub is offline Search for Posts by trub Add trub to your Buddy List
Unholy Emperor
I AM............dead.

images/avatars/avatar-569.gif

Registration Date: 05-12-2009
Race in game: Beastmaster
Clan: BoS

Thread Starter Thread Started by Unholy Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Szeszej
Thank you for your suggestions, that's a lot to stomach and I'll try to talk to devs about the most important points Smile

For now I can say that hopefully the app will be released soon and the font will look better there Smile

EDIT: We're working on the font in the desktop version too!

You're welcome! There was another problem too that I forgot to mention, when I select "click to view note about the opponent" the icons get shifted to the side of the box. https://prnt.sc/r0slxd

02-11-2020 15:30 Unholy Emperor is offline Search for Posts by Unholy Emperor Add Unholy Emperor to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Unholy Emperor
Szeszej
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-1121.jpg

Registration Date: 02-21-2007
Clan: Overlords

Thank you for reporting this, we'll try to get it fixed asap Smile

02-12-2020 08:40 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Game system » Opinions on the game after a 2 year break

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH