Go to the Main Page Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Looks of the game » Apostrophe - wrong sign. » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Apostrophe - wrong sign.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Smurf

Registration Date: 02-21-2009
Race in game: Cursed One
Clan: FnV

Apostrophe - wrong sign. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The superscript sign ( ' ) used to indicate the omission of a letter or letters from a word, the possessive case, or the plurals of numbers, letters, and abbreviations.

Don't you all think it is kinda weird that ( ` ) is used in the game? That was the first thing that struck me when I started playing on UKR2. What is your opinion?

03-18-2009 07:03 Smurf is offline Search for Posts by Smurf Add Smurf to your Buddy List
Szeszej
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-1121.jpg

Registration Date: 02-21-2007
Clan: Overlords

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

' tends to mess the database Wink , as far as I remember both sighs are used. The signs are not much different and everyone should know at first glance what is meant.

03-18-2009 07:37 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
Smurf

Registration Date: 02-21-2009
Race in game: Cursed One
Clan: FnV

Thread Starter Thread Started by Smurf
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ok then ... I didn't know about its tendency to mess up the database. If this is the reason close this topic cause it is now clear that ( ` ) has to be used. However I am not so sure if these are used interchangeably.

03-18-2009 07:48 Smurf is offline Search for Posts by Smurf Add Smurf to your Buddy List
Rakhan

Registration Date: 07-14-2009
Clan: [WOLF]

Szeszej,
it's possible to escape apostrophe(in db, code and html) for it to be displayed correctly to us end users. It's a pain in the *, but it can be done. You're not the first developer to run into it. Either you take the pain or you leave game looking... screwed up.

It kind of depends on what you're using and I'm too damn lazy to try and look it up on my holidays Tongue

Damn fine game, btw, but forums lacking 3742685452 smilies Wink

07-15-2009 15:28 Rakhan is offline Search for Posts by Rakhan Add Rakhan to your Buddy List
Szeszej
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-1121.jpg

Registration Date: 02-21-2007
Clan: Overlords

That'w the approach we decided to take, using ` is much less problematic

07-15-2009 21:46 Szeszej is offline Homepage of Szeszej Search for Posts by Szeszej Add Szeszej to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Official Blood Wars Board » Blood Wars » Looks of the game » Apostrophe - wrong sign.

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH